Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kish Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DD4 is a very Visual Learner. Visuals, symbols, signs, marks seem to fascinate her more than standard words. If words were a part of any of those, they get registered permanently in her. If not, she either chooses not to read, or chooses not to remember.

When it comes to reading books – it usually goes something like this.

- She asks us to read a book for her
    - We read that book for her when she asks, usually 3-4 times over a span of 1-2 days
    - Then, she could turn to a random page from the book and read most of the sentences on that page

Except that, she doesn’t actually “read” the text. She remembers the text from our readings earlier and, mentally maps the picture on the page with the text. So, what appears to be reading is actually her narrating the page from memory by looking at the picture.

If I turn to a random page, hide all the text with my palm and then ask her to read – she still “reads” the page with only the picture visible.

She reads many words, a few sentences, most road signs etc but I think she may still be narrating her mental mapping.

I’m just wondering if I should do anything to encourage her to look at the text as much as the pictures? Or should I just let her learn it her way?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    At her current age, it is probably not particularly critical that she learn phonetic reading. She may learn to decode on her own, or she may require instruction. I've known children with this early profile to take either path. Unless this distresses her, I would probably not worry about it before she reaches formal instruction in decoding, in the next year or two.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    At 4 this is pretty normal. Don't stress.

K
    Kish Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks aeh, puffin.

One reason I asked it was - a few days ago, another parent saw her reading flash cards of US Presidents and reading names like Martin Van Buren and James Knox Polk quite effortlessly and identifying them with no mistake. (While she actually narrates them from memory). Their immediate reaction - "Is it really necessary to teach them all this so early? Wouldn't teaching them CAT, MAT, BAT be enough." Their daughter is per them being taught to read CAT, MAT, BAT.

DD tends to remember stuff with no repetition. Going into any kind of regimen based learning frustrates her and she wants to be on her own accord.

It's hard to explain to them that we don't really "teach" her much. And while we knew it was hard to explain them the complexities of her thinking and why we would just let her read and remember the way she does, it was just that little parental inkling - "could we really be doing it any better". :-)

Last edited by Kish; 09/08/17 03:49 AM.
    P
    P
    You will just have to get used to that. Comes with having a gifted kid.

Early readers don't take a standard path to reading, and the first time around that can be really disconcerting. When my older one learned to read, I was baffled that "thud" or "cog" could be more difficult than "butterfly" or "excitement". Both of mine learned phonics from reading rather than learning reading through phonics.

If she's got a strong visual memory, run your fingers under the words as you read to her. My four-year-old required no additional reading instruction in his second language and became fluent just from being read to. Have her point to words as she reads, even if it's memorization. She'll memorize the individual words and recognize them in other contexts.

For strong, early sights readers, phonics won't be necessary for reading, but it becomes necessary for spelling. Kids get phonics at school several times, so your child has plenty of opportunity to pick up phonics.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM