Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My DS7 was moved from his first grade math class into a 3rd grade math class mid-year during first grade. The move was very successful, he loved it and continued to perform well. When meeting with leadership at the school to discuss his placement next year it was decided he will enter the compacted math program that will cover all of 4th grade and half of 5th grade. We agree that this seems to be a good placement, but we were warned that the math block may not line up perfectly. Does anyone have any advice on how best to navigate any missed material? He will be the only 2nd grader in the class.

L
    L
    YS DS8 will be SSA in math this year also. We have had to agree to essentially switch his entire classroom placement and at times during the week have him take classes with older students (which could actually have benefits since he is also an advanced reader) to make this work. It is still an imperfect match and his schedule will be a bit of a mess.

Really, scheduling is up to the school. You really should not have to worry about that. What material are you concerned about him missing?

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Loy58- I hope the SSA works out well for your son too. I understand that the scheduling is the school's responsibility, but I also want to make sure he doesn't miss art, music or P.E. (I feel those experiences are difficult for me to "make-up" at home) and he really enjoys them. Last year he missed some social studies, some writing, a little bit of reading but not the same subject every day. Any tips on communicating with teachers (his reading teacher, home room, and math) about what he is missing in each room from day to day?

L
    L
    Not DS, but YS DD11 missed some class time because of some advanced classes that did not quite match up time-wise in the past. How successful that arrangement was really depended on th teacher. I tried to stay out of it, as much as possible and it usually worked itself out. A couple of times I found myself biting my tongue...but it always worked out.

Your DS is a bit on the young end, so hard for him to work everything out on his own. If you think his teacher is supportive, I might reach out to him or her. Unfortunately, not all teachers are supportive of SSA and this could come out when you try to have this conversation.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Loy58- thank you. I try to back off and just let the first month or so of school happen so the teacher can get to know my DS and everyone adjust. Hopefully his homeroom teacher will support the SSA and all will go smoothly!

G
    G
    We've only had schedule clashes around SSAs. When a kid is missing instruction for a SSA, then there's also time when he'll be sitting through instruction that doesn't apply to him.

DS wears a watch with multiple alarms set for each time he's supposed to leave in the middle of class to go elsewhere.

For a couple of years, he would have a folder that he'd put on his desk when he was out of the room with missed work. The teacher or kid sitting next to him would put anything that was handed out when he was gone in the folder. When he's sitting through a repeat of instruction or grade level instruction in the accelerated subject, he'd pull the folder out and do what was in there.

We set priorities for the school on what we'd like to see happen when a one-off event means that schedules will change for a day. For instance, we established the approach that "DD is a 6th grader first, an accelerated student second, and DD has the right to make a decision as to where she goes without discussion with us." That means she'd attend all 6th grade functions like field trips and assemblies, and we'd expect the teachers to give her any missed assignments and time to make them up. She may also choose to skip an assembly in favor of going to her accelerated classes, and I'd be ok with that.

Last edited by geofizz; 08/08/16 05:11 AM.
    D
    D
    My dd's school manages it by requiring each class to have math at the same time each day. Math is always immediately after lunch.

A
    A
    My son's school has the same block of time for math across grades - in his school, it is immediately before lunch recess. Kids get moved to different math levels at different times of the year - their schedule does not change, instead, they are asked to go to a different classroom for math.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all. Unfortunately our public school has 3 lunches and students switching grades for math is extremely uncommon. While I am grateful for their willingness to accommodate DS7, I do expect some bumps along the road.

Geofizz- I like the folder idea for missed work back in his homeroom. I am already planning on making him a binder with folders/paper and a separate pencil pouch inside with pencils, glue stick, scissors, protractor, compass etc. since he will not be at his desk during math. Fortunately he is an organized little kid, but was also frustrated and stressed when the teacher would tell the kids to cut or glue and he didn't have the right supplies. Of course the teacher was happy to help him, but it made him uncomfortable feeling unprepared.

G
    G
    Expect bumps, mom2R&R, and maybe coach your DS on how to handle hiccups. I would also go over with him what to do if he ends up missing lunch occasionally. Our middle school was like that with 3 lunch periods. We had a standing agreement that DD could eat during the next period assuming she brought a nut-free lunch. She also knew to ask to see the nurse if she was ever refused the opportunity to eat (happened once with a sub). The nurse knows better than to deny a kid food. wink

Daytripper and ashley, I sent you a pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM