Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239591 09/04/17 09:26 AM
    V
    venice Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I would really appreciate some feedback/opinions regarding online math classes for an eighth grade math student. The student will take Algebra 1 in seventh grade (classroom setting) and will transition to online classes for Accelerated Geometry/Algebra 2 in eight grade since the middle school does not offer these classes. The online class will be administered by the school district. The course is not a video of an actual class but rather requires the student to read lessons and complete math assignments as well as online test. There will be a teacher available to answer any questions via email. Were concerned if he will be properly prepared to take Honors and AP level math classes when he enters high school. Can a student become proficient utilizing online classes or would it be better to delay Geometry and Algebra 2 until high school where he will be able to take these classes in a class-room setting? The reason for the concern is that an advisor and math teacher at the local high school's Magnet program said they have found the online classes offered by the district did not adequately prepare students for the rigors of Honors or AP level math classes. This is confusing. One one hand the student is a strong candidate for math acceleration but on the other hand it appears the method of delivery may result the student potentially being unprepared to take Honors or AP level math classes in high school.

Last edited by venice; 09/04/17 09:28 AM.
    C
    C
    My son did pre-Algebra in that same format of online. But I didn't think he needed it. He was doing it over the summer to be allowed to get into Algebra. I probably wouldn't allow my son to do this kind of online math of any higher level because although he gets As in math and is accelerated, it isn't really his thing. So the classroom is important to him for math.

But currently he is taking Spanish 1 online because he has had tons of background in Spanish and I think Spanish 1 in a classroom would be too boring and slow. So he is using the class to firm up his knowlege and get credit for what he already knows.

So it just depends on the situation IMO.

Is there a way to drop him at the high school for first period and then the school system transport him back to his school after he is done? This is standard practice in many districts.

Last edited by Cookie; 09/04/17 11:26 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    P
    P
    He could do AOPS introduction to number theory and introduction to counting and probability next year then do the other stuff at high school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM