Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 149 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239416 08/04/17 12:25 AM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Tips on phasing this sentiment in a school 504 meeting:

Quote from DS9
    "I like teachers who know a lot, are excited about whatever we are learning about and treat their students with respect. I don't like the ones that just boss kids around. It seems like they just use their "I am the adult in charge" position to disrespect kids and make themselves feel big. The ones that do that make me angry and want to revolt against them."

I understand the meeting will be focused on accommodations and not teacher preferences but if possible I think I'd still like to nudge a little on the teaching style that works best with him.

KJP #239419 08/04/17 01:06 AM
    I
    I
    Great observations by your DS9! smile

Teacher preferences can easily be worked into 504 accommodations. This old post has several lists with examples, some of which may be helpful.

KJP #239420 08/04/17 04:39 AM
    P
    P
    This may not be quite what your DS is trying to convey, but it reminds me of a frequent comment by my own. Maybe yours DS can find something in this that helps frame his input as more about "unusual needs of kid rather" than "avoiding bad teacher"?

My DS has two teacher requests: "cheerful", and "eccentric, like me". More practically, the latter means teachers who really enjoy coming at topics and problem from unusual directions - and really like *students* who take their class discussion in unexpected directions. Such teachers think it's neat when students propose approaches, problem-solving strategies and ideas they've never heard of before, and feel challenged and excited to try out this new concept, rather than derailed from their lesson plan.

Other somewhat more neutral descriptors of possible use include: flexible, out-of-the-box, not linear, non-traditional.... a little googling and thesaurus might give him some new wording ideas. Good luck to him - I think it's awesome he's prepared to go in there at 9 and try to explain his needs and concerns.

KJP #239430 08/08/17 03:00 PM
    A
    A
    Does the original text really need to be translated into PC language? Because your DS9's comments are genuine, legitimate, and not directed at a specific teacher, I would be inclined to include them and provide the diplomatic softeners myself.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    KJP #239531 08/24/17 10:14 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you for all the input. The meeting has been postponed and in the meantime he has been assigned a teacher. I have not met her but she gets great reviews on the gifted program's parents' social media group.

I checked out her Facebook profile and they at least have one quirky common interest.

This is our first year in public school so this is all new to us.

KJP #239576 09/01/17 10:25 AM
    F
    F
    hmm - i have never tried to request a teacher - my kids know that mom and dad can't pick their bosses - neither can they ... my kids had the full spectrum of teachers ... including ones we didn't like - but I realized after close to 10 years that every year made us stronger in a different way ... the boring teachers taught us patience and self motivation and the ones with a big ego had us come up with ways to deal with them - just like in real life we had a few gems and a lot of averages and ... yes very few truely horrible ones ... sometimes I have been surprized by how well my kids did with teachers that I didn't think would be a good fit... I wouldn't tollerate a teacher bullying my child but as long as they are fair and have reasonable expectations and rules I find that my kids do ok. And believe me ... we are an eccentric family

KJP #239577 09/01/17 01:03 PM
    P
    P
    No you can't pick your boss except by not accepting a job. But you do choose your job and you can leave. Kids don't have those options.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM