Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239547 08/28/17 07:14 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My child had a WISC test earlier this year.

Results

<Deleted some test result detail.>

I received the raw scores and scaled scores for all subtests.

Of these 12 subtests, my child reached the ceiling 3 times (similarities, arithmetic, figure weights) and had a scaled score of 19. However, I know that the extended norms would not apply as the score wasn't high enough for that).

I would like to understand my child's score better and want to know more about the QRI which seems to be my child's strongest side. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by BananaGirl; 09/08/19 08:20 PM.
    BananaGirl #239551 08/29/17 10:29 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    BG, your child did very well on all of the measures! I should note, though, that the WISC-IV has been superseded by the -V for three years, so these scores should be interpreted with a bit of caution. Also, there are no extended norms as of yet for the WISC-V, so the very high scores on the subtests of the QRI are as much normative information as we can obtain at this time, regardless of raw score.

The QRI (Quantitative Reasoning Index) is a measure of cognitive skills related to mathematical thinking and problem solving, and, in this case, suggests that your child would be expected to be exceptionally strong in mathematics development.

The combination of a 19 on similarities and the VCI you've reported suggests that skills in verbal knowledge may be somewhat lower than verbal reasoning. Does any IRL data bear this out?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    BananaGirl #239552 08/29/17 05:55 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you aeh.

My child is very good at maths. However, my child's strongest interest and ability are science/physics. I find it hard keeping him challenged in this area.

In my opinion my child has excellent verbal reasoning skills. However I'm not sure how verbal knowledge is measured. If verbal knowlegde would be vocabulary-like, I think my child would be a bit above average.

Thank you for you feedback.

Last edited by BananaGirl; 09/08/19 08:21 PM.
    BananaGirl #239555 08/30/17 10:49 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Of course, that makes sense. That is true; Pearson did need to make some small modifications, but mostly local norms had to be obtained, which is why the UK and AUS/NZ versions were released later than the USA and Canada editions.

Yes, verbal knowledge is heavily influenced by vocabulary, which is what is measured by the other VCI subtests (other than similarities, which is a measure of verbal reasoning, and particular strength for your child). Sounds like your IRL observations are consistent with presumed test scores.

Strong math skills are essential to success in science, and especially physics, so their appears to be a good match between interest and aptitude.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM