Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239476 08/14/17 11:39 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I've got a smart and maybe/maybe not gifted 7 year old who was devastated to not make the cut-off for her school's gate program, which she wanted to be in like her older HG sister. The main part of the entrance rubric is the OLSAT. She missed the qualifying score by 3 points-- she needed one standard deviation for her grade, where 559 is average, 592 is 1SD, and 625 is 2SD.

I need to decide whether or not to ask her to be retested, and one of the things that will influence my decision is "how much" she missed the cut-off by. My instinct is that 3 points is pretty close and could have been a bad day, but I'm not sure because I don't know much about the test. Does anyone who knows more about this test have an opinion? (And no, I don't have a score report for her.)

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    LAF Offline
    Both my kids did not pass the OLSAT, not even closely, but both are HG.

The OLSAT is a gifted and high ability screener, but does not identify all gifted kids. Our school has several ways to be identified for the gifted program, is the OLSAT the only way she can be identified?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Well, so there's this:
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/082957359601100215

which finds that, in her small study population, the OLSAT underidentified GT students at the 98, 97, and 96th %ile cutoffs (using a comprehensive WISC measure as the standard of comparison). Correlation of .39 at the 98th %ile or higher between the two measures, which isn't all that great.

And also, the SEM of the OLSAT-8 is just under 6, which means that your DC's score is within a SEM of the cutoff score. (That's on the SAI, btw, not the scaled score, so actually the relevant SEM is likely even larger in this case.) So there's that.

I would start, however, by considering whether the GATE program provides sufficient support to be worth the advocacy.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    LAF #239481 08/15/17 06:35 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Sadly, yes.

My HG daughter didn't score nearly as well on the OLSAT as on other tests, so I totally get you on the limitations of the test.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    aeh #239482 08/15/17 06:37 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Well, so there's this:
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/082957359601100215

which finds that, in her small study population, the OLSAT underidentified GT students at the 98, 97, and 96th %ile cutoffs (using a comprehensive WISC measure as the standard of comparison). Correlation of .39 at the 98th %ile or higher between the two measures, which isn't all that great.

And also, the SEM of the OLSAT-8 is just under 6, which means that your DC's score is within a SEM of the cutoff score. (That's on the SAI, btw, not the scaled score, so actually the relevant SEM is likely even larger in this case.) So there's that.

I would start, however, by considering whether the GATE program provides sufficient support to be worth the advocacy.

The GATE program does not provide sufficient support, and that's a good point. The way GATE has functioned for my eldest has been as a steam-release valve that gets her out of the classroom and into a somewhat engaging situation with kids on her level. It's a band-aid for sure, but it's something she looks forward to.

LAF Offline
    So you need the cohort. All I can say is I would appeal, what have you got to lose?

C
    C
    Will they accept an actual IQ test result? If so, I would go private and do that instead.

LAF #239539 08/28/17 10:03 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by LAF
    So you need the cohort. All I can say is I would appeal, what have you got to lose?

We decided to have her re-tested in September.

S
    OP Offline
    S

Originally Posted by ChasingTwo
    Will they accept an actual IQ test result? If so, I would go private and do that instead.

Nope, they don't. frown

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM