Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hi etxmom- I took one of those wrightslaw courses, when Pete Wright was in my city. If the reports are not ready, but the school/district has the data you are entitled to the raw data. It's part of your child's records.

I know a lot of people except 504s in lieu of IEPs, but it really should not be that way. If your child has a disability that adversely affects his education then that's an IEP, everything else is a 504.

It's taken me forever to realize districts should be paying for my DSs evaluations and to know how to get the vouchers. In fact, I just received vouchers in the mail for my youngest for neuropsych, speech, OT, APD and assistive technology. Get the data and then I am sure all of us can help you get the neuropsych at district expense. One thing worth mentioning is that you should request the IEE before the IEP meeting.

I know this is a steep learning curve, but with the help here you will be able to do it.

E
    etxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I just wanted to come back and update on our results. I was able to get the cover scoring sheets from the dyslexia testing. The advocate I was speaking to thinks that they should not have even scored the GORT because she never got a basal, but apparently the manual is not entirely clear on this?

Anyway, I met with the dyslexia teacher who did part of her testing. Shortly after I got there the district dyslexia director showed up to meet me. I honestly believe that they had only glanced at her scores and determined she didn't qualify for the dyslexia program. However, these two ladies were very nice and listened to what I had to say. I pointed out the variances in her scores and graphed them all so that they were easy to see on a bell curve. After about 5 minutes in the meeting they were both totally on board to recommend her for dyslexia instruction and questioned why she was not in gifted classes. They were my saviors.

The IEP meeting was exhausting. The SPED team was a joke and the leader was a total bulldog. I finally shut her up long enough to talk. In the end, it was very obvious they were going to fight tooth and nail to not provide an IEP. We went with the 504 for dyslexia, ADHD & asthma and got her in counseling for anxiety and depression related to school. She is also in behavioral RTI for social skills. I did warn them that if this route was not sufficient to provide her what she needed that I would be back. So far I have been happy with the outcome. We still need to have her visual processing checked as the advocate seems to think this could be part or even all of her reading issue.

I appreciate everyone's input so much! I'm hoping to be able to relax just a little bit for now and monitor her progress.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM