Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello, all! DS qualified for an award from NUMATS and I'm wondering if anyone has been to the ceremony recently and could comment on whether it was worth attending.

(It is about a 5 hour drive for us. So, although I think he would enjoy it I'm not sure it is what I'd like to do with a weekend once school is back in session.)

Thank you in advance for any input! smile

Last edited by mama2three; 08/15/17 06:20 PM.
    C
    C
    My DS got grand recognition from Duke TiP in one area and State recognition in the other. We didn't attend and they mailed us the medals. Neither was convenient time or location.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, Cookie!

M
    M
    We attended the CTY award ceremony and it lasted a total of 15 minutes. It was just an opportunity for the kids to have their picture taken. We live only ten minutes from the award recognition site and I thought that was questionable if it was worth attending. So, if Numats is similar, I would not recommend driving that far.

Q
    Q
    It partly depends on which ceremony - the regular/state ceremony or the Grand Ceremony. We did not attend the big NUMATS one at Northwestern even though DS was awarded a scholarship for first place because it was so far and because we were already attending the CTY Grand Ceremony. I am not sure if the difference with NUMATS is the same as the difference between the regular honors CTY ceremony and the CTY Grand Ceremony. If yes, then it may be worth attending. The Grand Ceremony took about an hour with guest speakers, followed by group pictures, a luncheon, and a campus tour of Hopkins. If NUMATS has the same distinction and there is an interest in Northwestern, then it may be worth it. I don't remembered what NUMATS offered.

C
    C
    We attended both the Local and Grand ceremony for CTY last year. GC was about a 4 hour drive and we made a weekend out of doing some sightseeing/touristy things.

We didn't attend either TIP State or Grand ceremony this year, as they were way too far. We skipped this year's local CTY. This year's Grand Ceremony is a question mark - we're waiting on a final date and to see what else we are doing that weekend.

I think it's worth attending anything local once (our local CTY was 30 minutes away), and at least one Grand Ceremony, if feasible. It's a significant accomplishment that should be recognized at least once, if possible.

I wouldn't travel an extended distance for a local/state ceremony - maybe 2 hours.

Five hours would be at the outer limit for me for any Grand ceremony, but if our family wasn't busy, and it was in an interesting place where we could do other things, see family members, etc., I'd probably do it at least once.

Last edited by Cranberry; 08/18/17 02:11 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you! From the description, it would have speakers and a small reception afterward. And, yes, we could combine it with some fun things in Chicago.

(I have a memory of traveling to Chicago when I was in jr. high and qualified for the ceremony at Northwestern, which makes me want to take him one year. I don't remember much about the ceremony, just that it was a special trip to go to Chicago with just my mom.) smile

N
    N
    We attended the NUMATS ceremony a few years ago but did not have to travel quite as far. There were, however, several families from quite a distance, including a large contingent from Ohio! There must be a strong coordinator there, encouraging and arranging the trip. Anyway, it can be a fun part of a weekend in Chicago. We saw Numats families in the neighborhoods around the campus in Evanston having lunch, walking, and on the campus too. The campus has some great photo op sites, under arches and overlooking the lake.

If you are spending the weekend, consider visiting the amazing Baha'i House of Worship just minutes north on Sheridan Road; it is outstandingly beautiful and the only such House of Worship in North America. (I see that portions of the Welcome center will be closed the afternoon of September 16; I don't know when the NUMATS ceremony is).

And of course Chicago has much to offer. Check out Millenium Park, and Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier, they sometimes have shows for young audiences.

Last edited by NotherBen; 08/19/17 09:10 PM. Reason: Clarification

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM