Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238828 06/15/17 04:16 PM
    S
    ships Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi everyone,

I recently got myself tested by a training psychologist. The psychologist wasn't able to give me a proper interpretation of my results, so I was hoping that someone here might be able to help.. I don't have the subtest scaled scores (except for my PRI). Here're my scores:

VCI: 147
    WMI: 145
    PRI: 121 (subtest scaled score: matrix reasoning - 16, block design - 15, visual puzzles - 11)
    PSI: 122

FSI: Not provided due to discrepancy in indexes. My PRI is also stated to not be reliable because the scaled scores have a difference of more than 5. However, the summary of the report mentioned that on average my IQ falls in the superior range.

I was wondering if the PRI and PSI can substantially depress my overall results, and if these scores can still be considered to fall under the 'gifted' range? Lastly, How do i calculate the GAI/ FSIQ? My training psychologist has insisted on not giving me these scores because it's not common practice to.

Thank you for your help.

ships #238837 06/16/17 10:18 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

I don't have my tables in front of me, so I wouldn't be able to give you a specific number right now anyway, but I will say that your GAI is unlikely to be substantially different from what your FSIQ would be, based on how the index scores are distributed. The GAI and FSIQ also are not likely to be the best representation of your optimal ability, given the wide differences between index scores. (I.e., yes, your lower PRI and PSI would depress your overall FSIQ/GAI scores.) That would be my reason for not giving you the GAI & FSIQ. They wouldn't add as much meaning as one would like, and might be misleading. I don't think you would be able to use the FSIQ for anything formal (e.g., Mensa) regardless, since the examiner isn't independently credentialed yet.

It would probably be more accurate to say that the minimum estimate of your ability is in the Superior range, where the two lower index scores are, since half of your indices are well into the Very Superior range. On face value, your scores would still be considered GT, certainly in language areas, and possibly in nonverbal reasoning as well. Depending on other aspects of your profile, they might also suggest a second exceptionality.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #238852 06/16/17 08:56 PM
    S
    ships Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for your response aeh.

I understand that the fsiq won't be an accurate representation of my optimal abilities, but it'd be nice to know.

I understands that needs between the highly gifted and moderately gifted are different, but I'm not sure what to make of these results because of such a huge scatter and the even split between perceptual and verbal abilities. Of course, my reason to know is self understanding/ development, since I am an adult and it's too late for public education to do anything for me.

The psych has also said that the scatter was "out of the norm but nothing alarming", so I assumed there' was nothing on twice exceptionality (but I was 'diagnosed' with social anxiety).

ships #238915 06/20/17 11:01 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Strictly speaking, being identified gifted and diagnosed with anxiety is 2e.

I would reconsider the idea that the scatter is not important. Though I also wouldn't consider it alarming, since you've made it this far in life!

These scores suggest HG+ in language areas, and not quite MG in visual-spatial. Nonverbal fluid reasoning appears to be MG. Without knowing anything else about you, I'll have to resort to speculation, but my expectation would be that you're probably much better with language and communication skills than you are with mental manipulations of objects, which would suggest affinity for professions that are language-heavy (e.g., journalism, elementary education, marketing), rather than spatial ones (e.g., architecture, engineering).

One should also note that anxiety can affect test performance, especially on timed tasks (the timed tasks on the WAIS are one of the WMI tasks, two of the PRI tasks--including your lowest reported subtest score, and both of the PSI tasks.) SO it's possible that other factors besides native ability are affecting your test scores.

ships #239197 07/11/17 06:15 PM
    S
    ships Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you so much for your response - I will look more deeply into 2e. Also spot on on my profession. I do notice that I am rather bad at manipulating 3D objects in my mind (not so for 2D or pattern recognition).

Speaking of scatter and anxiety, I have taken the Ravens Advanced Progressive Mattrices (the official one) 2 years back and the results came back at 172 (I assume a standard deviation of 24. I'm not sure if Raven is still considered as a valid and accurate measurement of iq, but I was thrown off a little by my WAIS results since my results on the matrices sub test was so off. I wonder if this Is common?

ships #239208 07/12/17 02:53 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would hold the APM results lightly, as well, but even taking them into consideration, I don't find them meaningfully divergent. First of all, examiners using the licensed APM typically report the results in %iles (which is what the publisher provides in the norm tables), so the IQ score must have been generated off-label, so to speak, by the examiner. Secondly, using an SD of 24, your score comes out to a z score of +3. Compare that to your WAIS-IV VCI, which comes out to a z score of +3.1. Hardly an earth-shattering difference. Matrices, which typically does correspond more closely to the APM (but not always), is at +2. Different, yes, but not, I would think, crazy different--and both are on pretty small sample sizes (23 items for APM, and likely in the high 20s, depending on which items you missed, on the WAIS). Matrices is also a subtest, rather than an index score, with less rigorous psychometric qualities (e.g., reliability) than the APM. Too bad you weren't given the optional Figure Weights subtest on the WAIS. In combination with Matrices, that would have provided a better picture of your nonverbal reasoning, especially in quantitative reasoning.

ships #239487 08/16/17 05:06 AM
    S
    ships Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi aeh, thank you for your insight as always. Sorry for the sporadic replies but I was also wondering if the wisc scale listed on the hoagies website used to classify levels of giftedness can be applied to the WAIS IV too?

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

ships #239492 08/18/17 05:55 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The WISC--IV, yes, more or less.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM