Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239194 07/11/17 01:34 PM
    D
    dtbell Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Does anyone here have a child enrolled in the Connections Academy? If so, has it been a good fit for your GT student? My oldest child is going into 7th grade, GT, and is a competitive athlete (thus the need for a flexible school schedule). She would be doing algebra 1 as a 7th grader this year in public school. She should be able to do the same with connections...we are waiting to hear back from her online assessment. Just really wondering if anyone has any feedback as to how challenging/stimulating connections academy is for gt students. Thank you!

I could write a book on this subject. {sigh}

The short version--

DD spent 9 years with a CA school, from third grade all through high school. She was literally their poster child at one point (well, for gifted ed, anyway, in their annual catalog).

It was good until Pearson bought them out. Well-- it was better until then, anyway.

Highlights:
    1. GT literature electives in middle school grades were excellent (when handled by a teacher who has mastery of the medium, that is).

2. Peer tutoring in math was delightful for DD, and she made friends that she still keeps in touch with, doing that. The supervisor of that program (Jen Roca in MD) is amazing. DD loves her.

3. The time that the program allowed had to be channeled properly to be of use-- but it did permit us to compress what would otherwise have been "challenging" curriculum (esp. in high school) for most MG students into an almost impossibly short school week, allowing for a LOT of extracurricular time. Work, volunteering, loads of outside projects, travel, exercise... sports, etc.

The bad:

1. If your child likes instruction, forget it. DD got 32 hours of instruction in second year German, for example. (Not kidding.)

It was less than that in AP Statistics, incidentally.

2. Assessment is FUBAR in this model, and it can readily drive perfectionism and avoidant coping. Not kidding. It's horrible. DO NOT recommend on this basis, depending upon the kind of child you have. If you have an anxious, avoidant/procrastinating kind of child, who already has perfectionism issues? Oy. Watch out.

I've written lots and lots and lots about CA.

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure the diploma was worth it for DD. She did get to experience some "typical" things that she wouldn't have via homeschooling, held various leadership offices via school, graduated #1....

and she earned a full merit scholarship to college, made friends... but the academic fit? NOT good.

Sorry. frown

Middle school was pretty good. It may well be that by the time DD was a couple years into high school, the academic fit was just really bad again and she needed to not be in high school anymore. Hard to say how much was the Pearson buy-out which happened when she was an 8th/9th grader. (DD is functionally PG, by the way-- entered university at 15.)

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 07/12/17 08:10 PM. Reason: to correct years

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    dtbell Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you for your feedback! We are going to have to try it given my daughter's training schedule. Are there any other online programs that might be NCAA accredited that you know of? Thanks again.

I
    I
    Here is the accreditation page for Laurel Springs, a private online school with a GT Academy.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM