Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239340 07/27/17 12:48 PM
    K
    Kish Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I never really knew the concept of Giftedness until I started researching on DD. The more I understood her, the more I understood myself.

The experience of understanding what I had only imagined to be my own uniquely eccentric idiosyncrasies, to be a scientifically explainable trait was bone-chilling for me.

I knew I have always tried to retro-fit myself into my classrooms or even within family, all through my childhood. As a child, I used to like to have friends, but they couldn't think like how my mind did. I used to feel my childhood imaginations were bordering on being delusional, because nobody else had such and I couldn't really talk about it to anyone.

When it came to the days of computer programming in the mid 1990s, I could visualize the computer's output to my program in my mind and wrote programs by hand on paper knowing precisely how it would execute when run on a computer - and it would turn out to be precise.

But then I was always the odd person out everywhere. Some called me nerd, some called me smart, but many called me eccentric and impatient, I was told I speak too fast, I was discouraged for knowing more than the guy who generally ranks top in school exams - "If you think you know it already, just keep it with you."

But I just thought of writing this mainly because I had a funny dose of my own asynchrony yesterday.

While I could do deep research, intricate analyses, (oh, and I overthink everything way too much!), I was flummoxed by a seemingly simple task - assembling a very small piece of furniture which didn't even require any external tools.

The problem? The instructions. They were very clear and printed in very legible English. But not for me! I struggled so much just to follow the simple step by step instructions that I almost gave up on it, until eventually after nearly an hour I got it right!

If you have any stories of your own Gifted adulthood and asynchrony, do share here.

Originally Posted by Kish
    While I could do deep research, intricate analyses, (oh, and I overthink everything way too much!), I was flummoxed by a seemingly simple task - assembling a very small piece of furniture which didn't even require any external tools.

That's because you tried to do something that involved dealing with the physical world of boring stuff.

I try to leave physical world jobs to the people who actually have at least a slight interest in dealing with physical objects.

Last edited by JonLaw; 07/28/17 09:07 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM