Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    Ah, I see the the post moderation made it hard for us to follow this thread. I would watch your son closely when this school year starts if you decide not to pursue this further beforehand.

If your son is unhappy, if he continues to have trouble sitting through material he already knows, he may start to resist school more.

Your school did give you some very standard "lines" about social development. I agree that it is very important, however, we send kids to school primarily to learn, and if they aren't learning (like all the other kids are), this isn't going to work how it does for the other kids (in my opinion.)

For the record, I went through a similar situation, and eventually we did need to skip a grade, skip an additional grade in one subject and then we had to find another, more flexible school that allows you to work at your own pace.

I
    I
    Just to emphasize that AuroraAKP is getting great advice in all these posts, I have begun piggy-backing on some of them...

Originally Posted by howdy
    Ah, I see the the post moderation made it hard for us to follow this thread.
    My advice to AuroraAKP would be to post at least three more responses, just to pass the count of 5 posts... each post could be a quick reply such as "Thanks" or "Great" or "Got It"... they need not be time-consuming.

If your son is unhappy, if he continues to have trouble sitting through material he already knows, he may start to resist school more.
    Yes, this is so common there is a phrase for it - "school refusal."

we did need to skip a grade, skip an additional grade in one subject and then we had to find another, more flexible school that allows you to work at your own pace.
    A roundup of acceleration (grade skipping) threads here... discussing pros and cons and pointing to resources.

N
    N
    school refusal - DS had a classmate who had run into similar problems at his old school - started to act out, get frustrated that carried over into home and hated school so much that his parents realized he had to get out because he was so frustrated and angry, and yet being told he had to behave way older than his age.

He started in DS' class in first grade with a lot of scars from that - we saw a very defensive child who was quick to lash out and we could see that he was bracing himself for "punishments" that did not come in DS' school. It took him at least a few months before we saw real improvement, with the angry bursts decreasing - and we could see the happy and sweet child he really is. His parents said that he lost all his anger, and they were glad to have their boy back - a happy boy who loves school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM