Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Anyone can be awesome if they follow the Formula to Success, which involves hard work, grit, and more hard work.

Nope. You are wrong. I can personally assure you that though I am awesome, when I followed the Formula to Success - put in hard work, grits and still more hard work - I ended up with a gross and disgusting mess that everyone refused to eat. So, the formula is wrong!

M
    M
    Add only a bit of water at a time.

And everything is better with cheese.

Originally Posted by ashley
    Anyone can be awesome if they follow the Formula to Success, which involves hard work, grit, and more hard work.

Nope. You are wrong. I can personally assure you that though I am awesome, when I followed the Formula to Success - put in hard work, grits and still more hard work - I ended up with a gross and disgusting mess that everyone refused to eat. So, the formula is wrong!

The formula is not wrong.

In fact, the formula, by definition, cannot be wrong. It's self-referential and self-proving.

You simply did not have/use enough grit.

The solution is to be gritter.

Become the grit.

A
    A
    The author's thesis sounds like Dweck's growth mindset gone wrong.

In some cases, hard work can beat talent when talent doesn't work hard. But the combination of talent and hard work will wallop the less talented hard worker in every case for comparable effort levels. Heck, the combination of talent and middling effort often dominates. This is true in every arena; not just academics.

I shudder to imagine the parenting practices associated with this "anyone can be gifted" trope. Wait...no imagining necessary- Amy Chua painted that picture clearly.

Western nations' collective inferiority complex needs correcting. No, not everyone is equal in every way, and enforced sameness doesn't equate to "fair" or "desirable" outcomes for the individual or society. It's abusive to force-fit children into a path of academic achievement beyond their capabilities, just as it's abusive to deny a child the right to exercise his/her advanced cognitive ability because others can't do the same.

And, to Val's point, this article is riddled with sloppy thinking. Case in point--"Most Nobel laureates were unexceptional in childhood." Is this a cultural/observational artifact, or fact? If the literature on giftedness is to be believed, parent observations of milestones would likely disagree, even in the absence of eye-popping external achievement.

Most authors who touch on giftedness seem to lack an appreciation for the latency of thought. To develop a truly radical idea requires observation, thought, and inquiry. These activities aren't necessarily outwardly manifested at the time they are initiated, but they are integral to later outward "achievement". It's a lack of respect for--and understanding of--the creative process that is revealed in this article.

But authentic creativity and profound thought aren't what the author is going for. She wants a badge, a box that can be checked, some outward sign of a person being "truly valuable". So if little Johnny or Suzy can out-score X% of classmates, that's the "same" as Zack or Mia's internal contemplation of the space-time continuum or the metaphysics of the soul. Contribution of original thought to humanity be damned! This is an exercise in ego appeasement.

In brief: YUCK!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Become the grit.

I'm imagining an anthropomorphized pile of oozing grits rearing up on its hind legs to accept an award.

Thanks Jon. Your comment catalyzed that picture. smile

Originally Posted by aquinas
    In some cases, hard work can beat talent when talent doesn't work hard. But the combination of talent and hard work will wallop the less talented hard worker in every case for comparable effort levels. Heck, the combination of talent and middling effort often dominates. This is true in every arena; not just academics.

I've even used the combination of talent, less than middling effort, and periodic active self-sabotage to obtain positive outcomes.

So that works, too.

P
    P
    Apparently the principal of my children's last school sent this article to all parents. The school has the reputation of being the better school in the area for gifted kids.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas

I've even used the combination of talent, less than middling effort, and periodic active self-sabotage to obtain positive outcomes.

So that works, too.

Hang on...are we married??

A
    A
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Apparently the principal of my children's last school sent this article to all parents. The school has the reputation of being the better school in the area for gifted kids.

Maybe you could propose a more appropriate article be circulated and provide a refereed suggestion? wink

Originally Posted by Mana
    Add only a bit of water at a time.

And everything is better with cheese.

But utterly sublime with bacon!

Become what you are
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations