Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I have been considering the issue of readiness for college beyond academics. DS and DD are both incoming 9th graders who are taking their first courses at our local community college. They are both doing fine and the quality of the courses has been reassuring so far. I believe they will develop significantly in writing, which is the major focus/criterion of both of their courses. For the kids on this forum, conceptual understanding is never the issue and if that were the sole basis many of our kids would be in college by 11 if not earlier. Writing skills and executive functioning skills probably push the suitable age by a couple of years or more. However, the issue of emotional maturity and "adult themes" tends to be less in our consciousness. Yet that is the only issue that has crossed my mind as my kids navigate their first college experience. While at age 14, DS/DD are "fine" with that "final barrier" as well, I am not sure that I would have subjected them to this environment too much earlier (maybe a year or so at most). Obviously, math would not be an issue but why go there when AoPS would be more vigorous/in-depth. Science as well as economics/accounting/business courses mostly would not be an issue either.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/21/17 10:31 AM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    I think this is highly individual to the child-family system. My extended family, including in-laws, contains quite a number of persons who either attended college early, or could have, but did not, for various reasons. The differences between the successful early college students and others are not always in the cognitive/conceptual realm, as you note. Areas of academic strength, emotional maturity, temperament, executive functions, access to effective scaffolding, peer social group, pace/nature of college entry (e.g., gradual vs complete matriculation, online/distance learning vs in-person, small CC classes vs 800 person lectures) are all factors that appear to have affected outcomes, or at least the path there.

My own experience was padded by a built-in peer group (sibs and other relatives who attended college at the same time, some of whom were early entrants at the same institution), and sufficient EF scaffolding by my parents (their safety net had just enough holes in it for me to experience some much-needed natural consequences, without allowing catastrophic failure). I also had the benefit of one audit course about three or four years earlier, and one summer course a year earlier, prior to full college entry, but still had to make a lot of adjustments. I think the earlier trial courses gave my parents some hard data on my progress toward preparation for college entry.

Though my experience was net positive, I am not inclined to have our children step into early college for the first time as fully matriculated freshmen. We're likely dipping our toes into college coursework this coming year as well, one class at a time, in interest areas, most likely STEM, starting from the most resilient and socially-mature child.

Perhaps AOPS would be more rigorous through calculus, but once learners pass calc, options outside of enrolling in college coursework become much more limited (MIT OCW being a notable exception--but that's essentially college coursework, without the in-person instruction, credit, or tuition fees). Also, one begins to enter territory where documenting college credit may have particular value.

In my FOG experience, those whose personal strengths were in STEM fields just put off all of their humanities requirements until the last year, loading up on extra STEM coursework early on. Even if a learner starts this process as a preteen (as some in my family did), natural development occurring with the passage of time mostly resolves the question of emotional maturity as it applies to humanities coursework by senior year. (It does not, of course, resolve the question of adult themes in interpersonal interactions with peers beginning in year one. Some families have addressed this by having one parent devote extensive time to accompanying the child to class. In my FOG, we had, as noted, co-enrolled family to support and shelter each other.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    In the US do you have to do humanities papers? Here if you are studying sciences you would do 3 to 4 years of maths and sciences but no humanities unless you wanted to and could fit them in - my degree was four years of compulsory maths and engineering courses.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    In most colleges and universities, yes. Some technical institutes may have fewer humanities requirements, but they will almost all have at least a little bit. Though way back in the day, I did manage to get through a respected university with zero literature or composition credits. (That policy changed between initial enrollment and graduation, but I was grandfathered in.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    Actually, I had to take something like six more humanities courses at MIT than I would have had to take if I had stayed at UC Berkeley. I was able to complete all my humanities requirements at Cal in the first year, with my APs plus one upper-division history course. So my experience is that the technical institute required more humanities, not less.

Originally Posted by puffin
    In the US do you have to do humanities papers? Here if you are studying sciences you would do 3 to 4 years of maths and sciences but no humanities unless you wanted to and could fit them in - my degree was four years of compulsory maths and engineering courses.

This is how the dross like social hypochrondria, grievance nurturing and angling for unfair advantage classes get funded in the US from what I have heard and seen. They blantantly hijack STEM courses and force those students to attend these classes.

Once upon a time taking humanities was an enriching experience but the politicization of the humanities these days means that a lot of them are a waste of time and merely teach cynicism - defend an argument you believe in and fail the class or parrot the expected argument and get an A.

I have spent a lot of time and effort doing my best to ensure that my daughter values all points of view and is compassionate to all creeds, genders and races. I am certainly not going to pay for a bunch of loonies with self esteem issues to ruin that.

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/23/17 04:17 AM.

Become what you are
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Once upon a time taking humanities was an enriching experience...

So true. I took a lot of humanities courses, and nearly all of them asked me to think about ideas I hadn't known about. Many of my professors also made a point of getting us to step outside our comfort zones.

I remember the professor in introductory philosophy spent time on the theme of "true beliefs." She stated the obvious (everyone has a set of things that they believe are true) and then worked out a logical argument showing that some "true beliefs" aren't true at all. The next logical step in the learning sequence was for all of us to ask ourselves which of our true beliefs were false. It was all accompanied by readings in classical philosophy. I wonder how much of this kind of thinking is taught now.

These days, if you're not majoring in the field, the humanities courses are just boxes to be checked off on your gen ed list. I've even heard grumblings about how little value they have, even as a major. It's a mess --- we've got ourselves in a state where we value the acquisition of narrow skillsets over the acquisition of broad knowledge followed by focusing in one area.

Last edited by Val; 07/22/17 02:29 PM.
    P
    P
    I would have liked to do some history papers but my first year consisted of Physics 1A, Physics 1B, calculus, statistics, computing, organic chem, physical and inorganic chem and a paper about product development and copyright among other things. That made up the maximum load. It didn't get any better the next three years.

P
    P
    It's been interesting to learn through this board just how different a university experience can be in the many countries all you lovely people come from. With respect to course load, my Canadian experience was much more like puffin's.

I actually checked a few major universities to see if things have changed since my (very long ago) day. Nope. At some, a chemistry major, for instance, needs no courses at all outside their major; others require 1 or even a few humanities/ social sciences, but choice of electives is pretty wide open (i.e. select from among hundreds of courses). I remember taking courses ranging from Shakespeare to structured logic, SciFi and political history myself. No such thing as first year gen ed course requirements here. If you walk in the door as a chemistry major, you pretty much do chemistry-related stuff.

Note that we have quite distinct colleges (applied, shorter certificate programs) vs universities (academic, 4 year degree programs). While there are some major problems with this system, I get the feeling from this board that maybe one advantage is that universities aren't trying to structure their first two years around meeting the very diverse needs of all kinds of post-secondary learners with the same set of classes? I see references here occasionally to "Four-year colleges" - would those have different course loads in early years than colleges that provide both 2 and 4 year degrees?

Here's an example for the insatiably curious, from a U that lays it all nicely out on one page. Interesting that they feel the need to be much more prescriptive with CS majors than chemistry!
    http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/SCI-Honours-Chemistry1
    http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/MATH-Bachelor-of-Computer-Science-1

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    I see references here occasionally to "Four-year colleges" - would those have different course loads in early years than colleges that provide both 2 and 4 year degrees?
    The reference to four-year colleges has typically been to distinguish between institutions which students attend when earning Bachelor's degrees, and two-year colleges such as a technical college, community college, or junior college where the degrees granted are typically Associate degrees.

A four-year college is one from which a Bachelor's degree can be obtained; A Bachelor's degree is typically considered a four-year degree.

Four-year colleges may also include schools which offer advanced degree programs such as Masters, Ed.D., and Ph.D. Some may also include medical schools offering MD.

At some 4-year colleges, students do not declare majors until completion of the second year (or after earning the number of credits equivalent to having completed second year, through programs/services available such as dual enrollment and transfer credit). At these colleges, the first 2 years are typically dedicated to liberal arts and/or gen ed requirements. The final two years are dedicated to classes in one's declared major area.

Some four-year colleges offer accelerated Summer courses and/or Winter break courses, allowing a Bachelor's degree to be completed in 3 years. Some 4-year colleges may also offer Associates degrees. These are examples of the melding occurring in education. Dual-enrollment is another example of rather recent changes which impact the amount of time spent in college. These changes may make the reference to four-year colleges somewhat dated or obsolete.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM