Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    That is a great point regarding competing interests at the high school level and dialing back if the situation warrants it. I have no intention of acting as a practice "Nazi" as I believe the choice should lie with them at that age. However, music lessons are expensive ($60 to $100+) where we live so I am not willing to expend that much weekly (times 2 for 2 kids) if they are not committed to improving. It is not that I would withhold lessons, just not provide 60-minute lessons with a distinguished musician. If they wanted to play for fun, 30 or 45 minutes with a teacher with a typical background is a reasonable compromise so that money can be used for something else.

What do your kids want - the "distinguished musician" or the "typical teacher?" What do they have now? Some distinguished musicians are terrible teachers and vice versa. My more serious musician has a less distinguished teacher than my less serious musician because of teacher-student chemistry. Serious musician daughter has had the same teacher since she started her instrument in fifth grade. They have wonderful chemistry and this teacher has been a fabulous mentor. Even though this teacher does not play in any of the "big name" symphonies or orchestras around here, she regularly has students receive scholarships to play in college. Less serious musician daughter recently switched teachers. She is now studying with a teacher who plays in the symphony and teaches at the university. This daughter had stagnated with her previous teacher and felt like she wasn't achieving her modest goals. She found the new teacher herself by talking to upperclassmen she respected and asking for recommendations. I wanted to support this rare bit of self-advocacy. It is costing me more but my daughter is more engaged and motivated than ever. Maybe she will become a more serious musician, maybe not.

Five hours of practice time would be difficult for either of my girls to commit to on a regular basis. Some weeks they have the time, some weeks they don't. They are both in an IB program that sometimes has a heavy homework load. Also, once they got to high school, they seemed to gravitate to a couple longer sessions every week instead of daily sessions. They have both made all-county and various university honor bands, though not all-state. They are on a block schedule at school so they have 3-4.5 hours of band at school plus 2 hours of an extra-curricular band every week, not to mention the extreme time commitment of the musical every spring. Even though they love their instruments, sometimes practice is the things that has to give.

Last edited by knute974; 07/10/17 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    LOL - my kids of course want the distinguished musician. I hear what you are saying regarding accomplished musicians not always being the best teachers. We of course look for both qualities. DS's teacher has both. We are still looking for a better qualified teacher for DD. Part of the issue is that you need a teacher who is significantly more advanced than your student. The practice time can become an issue. They may not always be able to practice five to seven days a week and that would be okay but I think they do need at least about five hours a week if they want to "keep up" with an hour of lesson time and be competitive in our state. Of course, their goals are in flux so we will see as the year unfolds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM