Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    pdxmom2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    My husband is being recruited for a job in Salt Lake City. We don't know anyone there and I'm having trouble decoding their talented and gifted information.

Here's the issue: My rising 8th and 4th graders currently go to an alternative school in Portland, Oregon where the curriculum is accelerated by a year in language arts and students are ability placed for math. My younger child is working one year above grade level in math and my oldest will be working 2 years above grade level in math next year. I am particularly concerned about my middle schooler, because the school is very supportive of his socioemotional needs as a gifted kid and he has a wonderful peer group for the first time there.

Does anyone know what families with gifted kids do in Salt Lake City? Is acceleration supported in the public schools? Is there a middle or high school that might offer more of an opportunity for a peer group?

All advice appreciated!

P
    P
    bump

L
    L
    Have you looked into Park City public schools? A few years back, my spouse worked with a number of people who relocated to the SLC area and most decided to settle there. While I can't know for sure, I suspect their children to be at least very bright, if not gifted. One or two chose Salt Lake City itself but they opted for private school. Sorry, I don't have the names of the specific schools.

Best of luck with your potential relocation.

B
    B
    My 2e husband went to high school at Rowland Hall - a private, nominally religious school. He believes that he got an excellent education there, but of course that was a million years ago. It seems as if they have elementary school as well. I have no idea if private school is an option for you, but it may be worth a look.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM