Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Brad
    I posted my information for anyone that maybe leery could contact me prior to passing the information along.
    Thank you for your reply. Consistent with Board Rules on not identifying individuals, I contacted you through the forum rather than via e-mail. Hopefully the further information which you have provided will assist in recruiting prospective participants.

Brad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    HowlerKarma,

AEH has a very good point and I just replied to her a few minutes ago. This situation came up with another potential participant and after discussing it my chair and method persons, they agreed that I could use potential participants with this sort of background. If you want you can pass my information to your BFF and have her contact or you can contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Thanks

Brad

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by indigo
    While I understand your thesis is titled "a case study analysis", I see little benefit to society from such an endeavor unless there is a companion study on non-urban (rural, suburban, etc) youth... potential risks

Different people see little benefit to different TV shows or styles of painting or certain software apps. Personally, I think it's not a good idea to judge something so harshly based on a one-paragraph description. Not to mention that analysis of case studies is the basis of many areas of research. For example, an analysis of case histories is essential to understanding diseases (and even to identifying a disease as being distinct when it's never been seen before).

As for risks, a major part of IRB approval is to judge risks. In fact, the entire process is structured to assess different levels of risk (e.g. experimental surgery or a drug candidate = high risk; a blood draw = low risk). The risk level for a survey depends on what's being surveyed. Walden's website says that their IRB complies with 45 CFR 46 (look it up).

Your dissertation sounds as though it will consist of anecdotal evidence, and not be based on empirical evidence. Therefore I have a concern for an incomplete picture. Some may call this bias.

Not sure what you mean here. Suggest you do a bit of serious reading on survey studies. Example: this file. Also, this page on qualitative vs. quantitative studies is more basic. Not to mention that, knowing very little about Brad's methods, you're not in a position to call his work biased (that job goes to his supervisor, his thesis committee, and peer reviewers). I suspect that you're not a scientist or a professional with experience in this area, meaning that you probably don't have the experience to judge his methods. Sometimes, when we lack knowledge about an area, it's easy to think that something is one way, when in fact, it isn't --- but you need experience in the field to understand it.

I don't know much about Brad's research, and therefore I can't judge it. Again, that's his supervisor, et al.'s job.

As an alternative, could you consider a literature review? Would that meet the criteria for your dissertation?

People who haven't done a Ph.D. often don't know that the degree requires original research (to be worth the paper it's written on, anyway). A literature review is simply one part of what's required to get the degree. It's usually the opening chapter in a thesis (depends on the style of the thesis).

Brad, have you tried contacting Mensa (local or national groups)? They might be willing to forward your message to their members.

Last edited by Val; 07/07/17 10:12 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    Personally, I think it's not a good idea to judge something so harshly based on a one-paragraph description.
    My post began with "A few thoughts..." and ended with "Just my 2 cents."

Originally Posted by Val
    Walden's website says that their IRB complies with 45 CFR 46 (look it up).
    I also noticed that Walden University is unranked, and the OP did not inspire my confidence. Mentioning my concerns allows the OP to incorporate and/or ignore portions of my input. If other posters, such as yourself, would like to endorse the approach in the OP, it seems that may be done without taking exception to my post?

Originally Posted by Val
    Suggest you do a bit of serious reading on survey studies.
    Thank you for the links. However the OP did not present a survey.

Originally Posted by Val
    Not to mention that, knowing very little about Brad's methods, you're not in a position to call his work biased
    Any person reading what is posted on a public forum is entitled to form and express an opinion. Doing so does usurp "that job" from "his supervisor, his thesis committee, and peer reviewers."

Originally Posted by Val
    I suspect that you're not a scientist or a professional with experience in this area, meaning that you probably don't have the experience to judge his methods. Sometimes, when we lack knowledge about an area, it's easy to think that something is one way, when in fact, it isn't --- but you need experience in the field to understand it.
    As an example, when one poster assumes the background of another poster...?!

Originally Posted by Val
    I don't know much about Brad's research, and therefore I can't judge it. Again, that's his supervisor, et al.'s job.
    The supervisor (and other information commonly shared when recruiting subjects for a research project) was not shared in the OP.

Originally Posted by Val
    A literature review is simply one part of what's required to get the degree. It's usually the opening chapter in a thesis (depends on the style of the thesis).
    Yes, some may wonder whether the sparse info shared in the OP may indicate that some preliminary research may be needed.

Originally Posted by Val
    Brad, have you tried contacting Mensa (local or national groups)? They might be willing to forward your message to their members.
    Hopefully more information would be included in such a message... possibly combining pertinent information from the OP and the subsequent post.

P
    P
    Hi Puffin,

Can we discuss your situation in private? You may be perfect for my study and I would like to learn more. You can email me at bradley.camper@waldenu.edu. Hope to hear from you.

Brad

I think going to a rural high school in NZ rules me out. Also since gifted wasn't catered for it wasn't tested for either. So maybe I am not ant my kid's father contributed all the IQ.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I have had this issue come up and my chair person stated I could use those potential participants that have dropped out prior to graduation in order to pursue higher education

The early entrance program at University of Washington would include students who drop out to pursue higher education. I think there's a discussion on some part of their website that discusses how not getting a high school diploma has not held back any of their students.

F
    F
    Realistically, the OP (probably) has done more work on his project than he is sharing here, and at any rate, he likely won't change his approach based on our comments -- imagine telling your advisors you went to the internet for advice! :-)
    However, I do agree that case studies can be valuable in some respects, though I'm certainly not a professional.

Secondly, I find it interesting to note that Walden University (unless I am mistaken; I just googled it) is a for-profit, accredited, online university. While this may not necessarily affect the quality of the OP's work, I thought it may interest some posters. It may also lead to some logistical issues for the OP, although on the other hand it does mean he can remotely interview anyone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM