Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks, polar bear. There's no overriding concern. It's just that this is all kind of sudden. DD only told us on the last day of school how much she hated school (not the school she attends), and felt that she was in the wrong grade. So we're getting data and pursing the skip in a very short period of time. We have a busy summer and it's challenging to accomplish, especially when school administrators aren't even in the building until the week before school starts.

I like your idea about scheduling the IQ test. The only other data I have for her is the Cogat she took to get into an HGT magnet program from kindergarten. I don't think they administered the full coat. She just had two scores, plus the cumulative (or overall?) Her scores were 99s, but my understanding is that the K test is quite a bit easier than one for later grades, so I don't think it's worth considering.

thanks again!

T
    T
    My daughter was did kindergarten at age 4 with the intention of repeating it. It was a very small class, and it made it so I didn't have to pay for preschool and transport two kids to two different locations, so I agreed to have her in kindergarten if they allowed her to do it again with kids her own age. However she ended up testing in first grade for reading and second grade for math, so the school pushed to move her ahead. She also wanted to, but we said no because I worried about her being a year and a half behind classmates while dealing with middle school girl issues. Kindergarten this year has been a disaster, both academically and socially (which is going to lead me to post my own questions for you guys!). I have no doubt that she would have thrived if we had accelerated her. She does much better with older kids and was isolated academically. If your daughter wants to grade skip and she is already familiar with the drama of middle school girls, then I would move her forward.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM