Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 256 of 263 < 1 2 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #237861 - 04/21/17 06:42 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    longcut Offline

Thanks, Portia!

Sometimes I wish this board had the "like" function, so could easily note "way cool!" on on other brags. 😂 I love reading about the accomplishments and triumphs over struggles here. You are all such dedicated people looking out for these kids!

LazyMum, you really can't resist with a charmer like that!

#237870 - 04/21/17 12:07 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Kish Offline

DD3.5 was playing in the playground when she fell down. I went up to her and asked "What happened, how did you fall down?". She replied "Because I lost my Centre of Gravity"

Last week, it was raining, and DW told her "It's raining". DD replied "It's precipitation"

DD's latest question to us, as of yesterday evening - "What is Life?"

#237908 - 04/24/17 11:02 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Merlin Offline

Loc: In a galaxy far, far away...
    We took our kids to an astronomy lecture with kids and adults present. When the professor asked questions during the program, ds9 answered all of them correctly. No one else even knew the answers. After the program, a random adult came up and asked if we were astronomers and ds' age. We told the man our ds is self taught. He said our son was just amazing! Definitely a moment where ds was proud of himself, esp. since he is 2e and gets a lot of negativity for his adhd behaviors.

#237939 - 04/25/17 06:57 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    MorningStar Offline

My 11 year old 7th grader got her ACT scores back and qualifies for Duke's Grand recognition ceremony. Really proud of her but not sure how to communicate results to her school...

#237940 - 04/25/17 07:59 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    NotherBen Offline

MorningStar, that's great news!

When DS took the ACT through NUMATS, his school knew he had taken the test but they did not indicate they had received his score. I know that they would not do anything with the score if they had it, so I didn't push it. He and a classmate did receive a certificate at the year-end school awards ceremony for having taken the test. And FWIW, he didn't qualify for the NUMATS ceremony that year, but he did qualify two years later when he took the SAT.

#237978 - 04/27/17 08:56 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    LAF Offline

I took my DS12 and DD10 to a plant nursery to pick out something and my DS began talking to the nurseryman about various types of club mosses and plants that existed in the prehistoric era and the nurseryman shared some interesting information with him about lichen (it is actually a symbiotic organism, both a fungus and an algae). When he asked my kids what they wanted to be when they grew up my DS said biologist (a given) and my DD said an oncologist...

He looked at me and said you have your hands full don't you...

#238207 - 05/08/17 08:49 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HoosierMommy Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
    Our school district offers a single-subject acceleration option for 5th grade honors math students to skip 6th grade honors and go straight into Intro to Algebra. DD11 wasn't sure if she wanted skip a year in math but decided to take the placement test just to see. Just informed she qualified to be subject accelerated. So proud of her. Plus we think the math challenge will be good for her since she seemed a little bored even with the compacted curriculum of the 5th grade honors math program here.

Then, DD8 was selected by the school district to exhibit a special project she did. All 10,000 kids in the district were to complete a project of their choosing at home in an effort to promote project-based learning. A true animal-lover, DD8 invented an imaginary animal, drew a picture of it on a poster board and listed male versus female characteristics. Then went on to describe its habitat, diet, babies, fun facts, etc in great detail. She was one of only 50 kids selected to show her project so we were super stoked!

#239098 - 07/06/17 07:29 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    nicoledad Offline

My daughter found out today she got a 5 on the AP Human Geography exam

#239100 - 07/06/17 08:27 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Cookie Offline

My state isn't released yet frown

#239110 - 07/06/17 03:59 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    NotherBen Offline

DS got 5s on Music Theory and AP Bio (the course he was failing, but pulled it up at the last minute). And in checking, I noticed that LAST year, after scores were released, he was named an AP Scholar with Distinction (got 3s or higher on all 4 tests he took. He got 3 5s, and a 4 on the Physics 2, a class that isn't offered)

So if your student took 3 or more tests, or you live in the Bahamas, or...there are a few other awards...check their record again in a few weeks. There might be a certificate suitable for framing!

Page 256 of 263 < 1 2 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum