Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    If a gifted student is able to get a 5 on an AP exam such as Calculus or Computer Science without taking the class in school, how important is it to take the class in school so that it appears on his or her transcript? If the high school offers a more advanced class in the same subject, for example multivariable calculus or differential equations following single-variable calculus, maybe skipping the AP class is OK, but what if the AP class is the terminal class offered?

P
    P
    I would have my kid take a different class if there was no next-level-up class. Taking an AP class that you already know the material for just to take the class seems silly and boring (although I suppose it would give a student an extra weighted A for their GPA). If it's a subject in an area the student is interested in pursuing in college, I'd have them look into taking the next level up class at a local university or online if those are options allowed as an option for credit by the school district. If it's not a subject that the student is interested in pursuing in college, I'd have them take a course that is something they're interested in instead. If they need the credit for graduation, I'd ask for credit based on the AP test score.

Not sure if it shows... but my inner-high-school is surfacing here and telling me that taking a class where I already knew all the material would be beyond boring!

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    A
    We have a case where one of our kids took the AP test without taking the class. DS took the CS AP exam in his freshman year in hs, but never took the AP CS class - he learned the material on his own. He got a 5 on the test, which qualified him for dual enrollment at the state uni nearby where he was able to take a more advanced CS course his sophomore year. The AP score was a way of satisfying the university course prerequisite, and for satisfying the school district's requirement that dual enrollment in a particular subject is allowed only after exhausting district courses in the topic. Had he gotten a low score on the CS AP test, he would have taken the AP CS course at his hs the following year.

Last edited by amylou; 06/25/17 06:08 PM.
    C
    C
    I'm not sure if it answers your question fully, but taking the exam without the course is very common in our school. Our school offers a fair number of AP classes, but the competitive kids seem to feel that the only way to distinguish themselves is by taking more APs than the next kid, and they accomplish that via exam without the class. There is no way one could fit all those classes into the schedule our high school follows, with the extra period needed for labs, etc, and including the required classes, like PE. So basically these kids are trying to make their college apps more attractive, often studying for multiple exams all summer. It also seems common for kids to take exams to try and place out of requirements in college- macro and micro economics seem popular for this purpose, though I'm not sure it actually accomplishes what kids seem to think it does- though certainly depends where one matriculates. There are many kids who take Chinese as just the exam, also psychology, environmental science, computer science. For CS, our school's class is reputed to be weak on teaching, so many kids opt not to take it and just self-study, for example.

Again, I am not sure if this answers your question- I would not want my kid to take the AP bio exam without the class, for example, because I think the lab work was one of the most important aspects of the class, and it was well-done. Taking the class was also a good way to get to know the teacher well, and my DD will be using him for a recommendation- just another thing to consider, But I agree with previous posters in that I would not want my kids to take a class when they already know the material- there is enough of that in required classes as it is, and they don't tolerate it well.

C
    C
    Many colleges have told us admissions doesn't care about the AP exam scores. They look at class taken and grade in class. Which sucks when getting 5s on the test is what your kid is good at and they don't look at the scores until you are admitted to determine credit. But I guess if you list one of the AP honors like AP scholar with distinction on your application or AP state scholar they would know you did well on the exams.

(This question came up from parents asking because of AP exam scores senior year come out in July and don't impact admission and the admission officers reply...we don't care in admissions about the exam scores anyway...we want the class and grade in class.). But if kid goes to additional hard class at school or local university dual enrolled then the next class shows up on transcript.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Not sure if it shows... but my inner-high-school is surfacing here and telling me that taking a class where I already knew all the material would be beyond boring!
    Thanks to you and the others who replied.

I see your point, but if your children are in a public school that does not accommodate gifted children, and if you afterschool them at places such as Russian School of Math, already knowing most of the material in math class is the norm. The only difference with calculus is that there is a recognized exam to certify what has been learned outside of school.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    Many colleges have told us admissions doesn't care about the AP exam scores.
    The "competitive kids" mentioned in the post before yours by cricket3 think AP exam scores do matter for admissions. I'm not sure what to think. Probably the marginal effect of good AP exam scores is decreasing in the quantity. Three fives is much better than zero, and 6 fives is a bit better than 3 fives, but I doubt that 9 fives confers much edge over 6 fives. Once a student has 5 or 6 fives on AP exams by junior year, marginal effort may be better expended on extracurriculars.

C
    C
    I'm not sure what to think either, but that's definitely the mindset. We see kids all the time who cut way back or drop out of extracurricular becuase of their heavy academic load; Or worse, the kids who stay on in the teams or clubs but rarely show up and don't pull their weight. Lots of "creative resume writing", leadership titles that are for show or in name only, you get the drift. And don't get me started on the choice of extracurriculars- much of that seems parent-driven but it's just as bad, or worse (making a kid drop piano because they haven't placed first in the most recent round of competitions, or dropping something because there is no pathway to a national medal or recognition, making a kid study oboe because they believe there is a better chance at making all-state, not allowing a kid to attend prom or senior ball because their grades were deemed not good enough....). It's become quite the arms race, and we don't even live in a big city or super zip area. I think we will be lucky to get our kids through relatively intact .

C
    C
    No, that isn't what I meant. This question was asked by a parent of an admissions counselor.

Should my child take more AP classes junior year because senior year scores can't be put on application?

Applications officer says we don't look at the scores for admission purposes...just did you take APs and what did your teacher give you as a grade. The scores are used later to get credit (or not). I personally have never seen a current application (I mean I did in the 1980s) but I think they are saying there isn't a spot to put your scores. Like I said for my son who gets 5s, seems like that is a bummer for him that he doesn't get to say....look at me I get 5s on my APs. But helps those who take and do well in the classes but don't do as exceptionally well as my son. (Which i know doesn't mean that he learned more, just he tests well)

T
    T
    If you have a kid who does very well on exams but is not so interested in going to class or doing busy work, you could always have them look at Oxford or Cambridge in the UK, which are basically made for kids like this. They admit based on exam scores, not high school transcripts, and grades are determined by exam. It tends to work well for a specific type go gifted kid (not anxious ones who need lots of affirmation and control).

K
    K
    DD did not take a BC calc class but it is standard practice at her school that the IB HL (high level) math kids take the BC calc test after their junior year. Her teacher says that it is easier to get a 5 on the AP exam than it is to get a 6 or 7 on the HL math test. DD will take IB HL II next year. I have no idea what they cover but I've heard that some of it is pretty esoteric.

We have been asking about credit/placement for AP And IB classes on college vists. So far, DD has three 5s on the three AP tests that she has taken - AP Human Geography, APUSH and BC calc. I've been getting the impression that a 5 on the BC calc test gets you placement and/or credit at a lot of schools, i.e. MIT said that they would accept a 5 on BC calc or a 6 or a 7 on the IB HL math exam. It seems to be an accepted standard in a way that the non-math AP tests are not.

N
    N
    AP scores now are sent electronically. It would seem to be no need to put it on an application.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM