Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Pi22
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Pi22, as a parent of a child who has had it NOT calculated that was a really really good thing for us, when you have a 3-4 deviation spread between indexes the FSIQ is meaningless but educators WILL look at if it's there and many will not think any further, no matter how many notes the psychologist makes about it's meaningless nature.
    MumOfThree, I think you have an excellent point that educators may not be able to look past the FSIQ. It is a shame that educators aren't better trained in understanding the results. My own DS has a 60 point spread (4 standard deviations) between index scores so I do understand the importance of the four indexes, but I also wanted to know his FSIQ since working memory and processing speed are still aspects of general intelligence. So I wouldn't say the FSIQ was meaningless to us.

I'm not a professional, just the parent of a 2e student with a significant spread in scores due to lower processing speed and somewhat lower working memory. Our neuropsych did calculate FSIQ for our ds in spite of the large gap, but fwiw, I don't see how it is helpful at all in understanding our ds. While processing speed and working memory are components of what is considered to be "general intelligence", having the FSIQ doesn't help understand our child's learning strengths or challenges - it's simply a somewhat-averaged calculation between widely varying scores that represent different areas of abilities. What was useful to me as a parent in understanding my ds' abilities was having all the subscores and the composite scores for various categories such as VCI etc. What was useful in advocating at school was his GAI and achievement testing.

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    B
    Hi aeh,

Thanks for thinking along.

Earlier in this old thread, StatGuru explains how to to calculate the FSIQ for the WISC IV from the the sum of the scaled scores using this formula

FSIQ = 25 + 0.75*S where S is the Sum of Scaled Scores.

(And he/she explained: "The Sum of Scaled Scores is the sum of the 10 Subtest Scaled Scores. Each Subtest Scaled Score ranges from 1-19 with a mean of 10 and a standard deviation of 3. Each is assumed to be normally distributed. The Sum of Scaled Scores follows a normal distribution with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 20. The only difference between the Sum of Scaled Scores and the FSIQ is that the FSIQ has a standard deviation of 15 (not 20). You can easily convert from one normal distribution to another, so if you know the Sum of Scaled Scores, you know the Full Scale Composite Score (FSIQ):
    FSIQ = 100 + ((15/20)*(S-100)) <- same as above, before simplication
    The 100's are the means of the two distributions and the 15 and 20 are their standard deviations. All of this can be obtained by publically released information.)

I would like to know how to calculate a FSIQ from the sums of the scaled scores on the WISC V. Basically, because I was wondering what FSIQ a sum of scaled scores of 114 on WISC V would translate to.)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    bananagirl, pm'd you.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I ended back on this board, once again, because I'm trying to calculate IQ scores. I think this is why I ended up here in the first place.

Does anyone know how to calculate the Verbal IQ using the VCI and WMI using the WAIS-IV?

And, if so, is there some kind of source that I can link to?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The VIQ was not developed for the WAIS-IV, as more contemporary theories of intelligence (plus stats) found that the four-factor solution (VCI, PRI, WMI, PSI) was a better representation of the standardization data set. So there's no way to compute a VIQ with validity.

For your statistical entertainment, here's an article comparing various models for confirmatory factor analysis of the WAIS-IV:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/55a4/44255cf1a07acf94135cfa055ea3e2bbfec7.pdf

P
    P
    Hello I have the same question

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Same as which specific question from above?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM