Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I figure there must be plenty of parents here with kids taking music lessons. What are your thoughts regarding reasonable amounts of practice time per week? What has your experience been with transitioning to longer private lessons, from 30 minute lessons to 45 or to 60 minute lessons? Is there a big difference between 45 minute versus 60 minute lessons, sufficient to warrant the additional costs? Is it unreasonable to expect an hour of practice a day (5 or 6 times a week) once the student transitions to 60 minute lessons?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would agree that appropriate practice and lesson time are highly dependent on the child in question. I do, however, have general rules of thumb.

A longer lesson time is valuable only if the student can absorb and remember enough of the additional instruction to productively practice it between lessons. How much a student can take away from a lesson will, of course, depend on her interest and capacity, as well as attention (which is often developmental). My personal experience is that I and my siblings started with one hour formal lessons around age 8 or 9. I notice that the standard in many places these days is 30 minute lessons well into high school. Our children's regular lessons are 30 minutes, but they do throw in some 60 minute lessons here and there, which they appear able to absorb equally well.

For practice time, again, it depends on the attention, interest, and capacity of the learner. I've taken the same general guideline recommended for homework, which is 10 minutes per year-of-age-minus-five. (Or ten minutes per year of grade.) Obviously, if a child wants to practice more than that, and it doesn't have negative impacts on other aspects of development or family life, then I see no reason to stop him. With my very young or inattentive children, I sit with them for the whole (very brief) practice session. All of our kids like music, so they're on their instruments quite a bit--though not always in the form of focused practicing.

I want my children's experience of music to be both enjoyable and instructional, so as much as committing to taking lessons means committing to daily practice, it ought not to be at the expense of music as a delight and a vehicle for emotional/artistic expression.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I agree with everything above, and especially this:

Originally Posted by aeh
    I want my children's experience of music to be both enjoyable and instructional, so as much as committing to taking lessons means committing to daily practice, it ought not to be at the expense of music as a delight and a vehicle for emotional/artistic expression.

I don't know anything about your child Quantum, but I think your children are going into high school this year? If they are really into music, one thing that happened for my ds (who is really into music) is that he has enjoyed the opportunities to perform offered both at his high school and in our community for kids once they reach high school age. He's still taking 30 minute piano lessons, but has expanded his music ability through other avenues. A lot of our children's friends also expand to learning additional instruments or giving vocal music a try etc when in high school.

One other note - I would want to be certain that expanding lesson time is truly meaningful in expanding what's learned vs just giving more to practice. Hope that makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - yet another note - if your kids are entering high school this fall for the first year (I'm not 100% sure that's where they are at)... I'd consider that if you move to a 60 minute lesson now, leave an open mind to moving back to a shorter lesson or shorter required practice time after school starts if your instructor is open to it. Both of my kids who are now in high school found they had many other new interests they were interested in pursuing once they actually attended high school, and they also found that homework time went up astronomically. This might not be the case at all in your area or with your students, but it would have been a difficult time for us to have made the decision to increase time spent on music lessons and practice for one specific instrument.

A
    A
    The amount of practice time depends on the child's musical goals.

In my area, there are teachers who teach music to students whose goal is to learn a particular instrument because of interest, explore their musical talents and have fun with it. These teachers allow the students to set their own practice times and provide guidelines on how a practice session would look like.

There are some other teachers who only take on "serious music students" - these teachers move the students to 1 hour classes very early (sometimes 2-3 times a week) and then require a certain amount of practice time every single day. These students are bound for competitions (at the very high levels) or to pre collegiate music programs at prestigious music conservatories. They are also required to take Musicianship examinations annually, learn music theory, sight reading, ear training etc and perform in recitals as assigned by the teachers. These kids practice from 3-6 hours a day and though they enjoy it a lot, it is really hard work.

Where your child lies in this spectrum is something only a parent can know. As a general rule of thumb, when my child started lessons at a young age, the teacher told us to practice for a length of time that was same as the length of the lesson with the teacher (e.g. practice 45 mins a day for a 45 min lesson with the teacher). As my son advanced, the teacher told us to practice for as long as it took to cover the material that was assigned for homework - at that stage, a concept that took the teacher 10 minutes to teach in a private lesson took much longer than 10 minutes of practice per day to master it.

S
    S
    It reeeeeally depends.

My DS10 is musically talented, but due to his ADHD I've held back on music because he didn't have the EF to practice.

He had a regular teacher for 6 weeks. 30 minute lessons. It was usually too much time and he did poorly (behaviorally) in the lessons. The teacher was soooo impressed by him and praised him heavily. He was practicing 3 hours a day for a while. Then he figured out he didn't have to practice and she would still gush just the same so he stopped practicing, maybe 1 hour over a whole week. He surpassed what this teacher was able to teach in 6 weeks.

He's currently taking 45 minute lessons from a university professor who is meticulous, demanding, AND a really nice guy who sees a lot of his childhood self in DS10. 45 minutes is not enough. They run over into my lesson time each week. DS10 is practicing something like 30 minutes on 3 days and 2 hours on another day. He is practicing less and making more progress. It's a better balance.

If it wasn't for limitations of ADHD, DS10 would be in the "serious music student" category. I'd add trumpet lessons with a university professor, as trumpet is his primary instrument, and he'd be taking music classes at the local community college. The EF just isn't there, not enough hours in the day after dealing with his slow processing speed and everything else that needs to be done.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I see what you mean. The considerations and "payoffs" also are a bit different when you are using music lessons/practice partly as extended therapy.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I think in our area, the duration of lessons is tied to skill level or so I have been led to believe. I have been searching for new teachers for DS/DD and prospective teachers indicate a minimum of 45 minutes with a preference for 60 minutes. Age-wise, DS/DD are ready for 60-minute lessons and 60-minute practices.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That is a great point regarding competing interests at the high school level and dialing back if the situation warrants it. I have no intention of acting as a practice "Nazi" as I believe the choice should lie with them at that age. However, music lessons are expensive ($60 to $100+) where we live so I am not willing to expend that much weekly (times 2 for 2 kids) if they are not committed to improving. It is not that I would withhold lessons, just not provide 60-minute lessons with a distinguished musician. If they wanted to play for fun, 30 or 45 minutes with a teacher with a typical background is a reasonable compromise so that money can be used for something else.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you - you have laid it out very clearly and succinctly. DS/DD are not talented or committed enough to follow the conservatory route nor do I want or expect that of them. They just want to be/remain competitive enough for All-County and All-State bands/orchestras. In my mind, I see 60 minutes of practice five days a week as a reasonable average to try to keep pace with weekly 60-minute lessons. I would even be okay if they aren't always ready for the next lesson if being ready would have required more than five hours of practice a week. It's also the issue of the financial sacrifice to pay for those lessons.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Actually, your DS' three and a half hours of practice time per week for 45-minute lessons seems appropriate to me. For 45-minute lessons, I would expect a minimum of three to three and a half hours of practice weekly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM