Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    smiley2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I just noticed a word changed in GIEP plan versions:
    ability grouping with intellectual peers
    was changed to
    cluster grouping with intellectual peers.
    Does one refer to a more intellectually narrow classroom grouping or do they mean the same thing?

T
    T
    I would understand "ability grouping" as a self contained group with more organizational and curricular separation, and "cluster grouping" as putting several similar kids together in one heterogeneous classroom with lots of other kids, with curricular differentiation happening as much or as little as it happens for everyone.
    You may want to google Susan Wjnebrenner to find out about he research on making cluster grouping successful.

Last edited by Tigerle; 06/14/17 01:56 PM.
    P
    P
    I'd also add that what a term means in reality vs what it means to the people who are using it and instructing based on it can be two very different things smile I'd ask the person (or team) who wrote the IEP to define exactly what "cluster grouping" means to them - and then get very specific about writing it out in the IEP. If it's something that you think is a *good* practice for your child and it's not clearly defined, then I'd suggest you write out your understanding of it in the parent comments section of the IEP. If it's something you're concerned about, address it.

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    smiley2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Each group is relating to grouping for small group work/practice of curriculum instruction. I didn't know if it had to do with ability grouping being a closer intellectual grouping and cluster grouping being a looser peer grouping. School has already told me there isn't a good peer group in grade and can't meet needs within current classroom setting even with GIEP. I was curious if the ability to cluster change was coming from them releasing themselves of need to address child's actual needs vs just getting in the ballpark?

I
    I
    You've received great responses above. I'll just add that many gifted education program and service terms have fuzzy, nebulous meanings and are essentially buzzwords.

I would definitely ask for clarification on what the change in terminology means in terms of what your child will experience.

T
    T
    This is silly. Who do they want to cluster your child with if there are no gifted peers?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM