Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by marigold82076
    My son's school uses the ITBS to qualify students for acceleration. My son took the 3rd grade ITBS and the results letter we received simply stated "Did Not Pass". Is there any way I can make the district give me his actual scores?

It might actually not be difficult to get the score report - this is what you would do in my school district, not sure if it's the same where you're at, but generally, there's a person/contact to ask for this info, and the school district (here), will give you a copy of or let you look at or copy whatever records you're legally entitled to. When I needed to ask for a copy of test results for gifted program that one of my children had taken through the district, I first asked the person who'd administered the test, and they referred me to the central records location where students' files are kept - all it took was a call/email to that location and I was able to get a copy of the record. It *might* be more difficult where you are, but it also might be relatively easy. You have a right (via FERPA) to be provided with the information if you request it, so I'd either start by asking the person who administered the test at school who to contact, or I'd dig around on your school district's website to see if there's a contact # listed for records, or I'd call your central administration general info # and ask who to contact.

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I hope this is the case. I am anticipating some resistance because on the website it says "Proficiency Based Testing results will only be reported as “Pass” or “Not Pass”.

I have a meeting with the district gifted programming administrator soon. I am bringing:

1. printouts of the articles mentioned by indigo
    2. District FERPA notification to parents
    3. FERPA definitions
    4. my son's IQ test results & other test results
    5. the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual
    6. the district Gifted Policy
    7. the state gifted Policy
    8. A Nation Deceived

This is the first official meeting I have had with anyone at the district or the school, and I'm not sure what to expect. My primary goal is to get a copy of his test results and to open discussion about the acceleration policy and what options my son has. I want to have more specific goals here, but I'm unsure where to focus my efforts without having seen his test results.

Any advice, besides "check your emotions"? I have read through "From Emotions to Advocacy".

Last edited by marigold82076; 06/15/17 07:27 AM.
    I
    I
    Polarbear gave you great advice to first call your school, and what to say; the process may be easy. If you have not done this yet, do this NOW. As a follow-up or next step, you may wish to e-mail your school.

IMO, you want the scores (or at least to have requested the scores and received a reply which indicates the score retrieval is in the works) BEFORE a meeting.

A meeting is probably NOT the best format to request the scores, if other options exist.

Other advice:
    - Remember that school districts can vary considerably. Some are more transparent, compliant with the law, empowering toward students and families, and easy to work with. Others are more insular, less compliant with the law, and more inclined to dis-empower students and parents (especially gifted children and their parents when schools may be incubators of policies for equal outcomes)... although they may be very pleasant to your face, they may deflect, veer off-track, fail to follow-through, not return phone calls or e-mails, miss deadlines, provide only non-responsive replies (replies which do not provide the requested information), engage in divide-and-conquer techniques (attempt to pit family members against each other by falsely reporting or taking out of context or perspective that one did not have the same goal as another... for example, if 5 solutions are under consideration and ranked, child and parents may all agree on the top two but may have rated the top two differently... while this is substantial agreement, a district may saw away at this for years as a disagreement among family members), etc, and generally not hold themselves accountable.
    - I supplied you with source documents for information which you requested, so that you understand that you are entitled to the information which you are seeking. This is to boost your confidence: Although inexperienced, you do need not be naive or overly dependent on what the school says, with no other source of information to potentially counter with, if needed. However this is not meant to suggest that you ought to quickly escalate matters. Once escalated, it is difficult if not impossible to go back to making simple requests.
    - Document, document, document. You may need or benefit from having accurate records, for any future educational advocacy.
    - Arrange everything into an advocacy ring-binder for easy ongoing reference.
    - Highlight the important parts in the printed articles. This would generally be the points mentioned/quoted/discussed in the posts on this forum. If you don't highlight these points, they may be missed when the article is read/skimmed.
    - Did you read the links at this post, including crowd-sourced meeting prep?

I hope this is the case. I am anticipating some resistance because on the website it says "Proficiency Based Testing results will only be reported as “Pass” or “Not Pass”.
    One effective approach or strategy may be to ask, "Can you help me understand...?", as this is generally seen as non-confrontational. For example, depending upon the conversation occurring...
    - "Can you help me understand where the actual scores exist?"
    - "Can you help me understand whether the testing company has the scores?"
    - "Can you help me understand how the district believes it is compliant in withholding the scores when the FERPA definition of "educational records" says...."
    - etc...

M
    OP Offline
    M
    This is all great stuff. I especially like the "Can you help me understand..."

I'm still figuring all this out, but it seems that in my district the gifted coordinator has to approve the grade skip before the school will get involved. He provides a recommendation to the school and they decide from there.

Also it's very difficult to get a meeting with the school principal or teachers during the summer break.

Update: I was able to get a copy of his test results, and the gifted coordinator agreed to make use of the IAS as a pilot for my son!

This means that he will take the 4th grade ITBS for the "Aptitude", he already has a CoGAT for the "Ability", but the coordinator wanted to use his 3rd grade ITBS results for the "Achievement" part which is supposed to be a grade-level test (he just finished 2nd grade). This seems unfair to me but I don't really want to make him take yet another test just to get this data point. Has anyone used AIMSweb plus scores for the "Achievement" part of the IAS? Any other ideas?

I
    I
    I was able to get a copy of his test results, and the gifted coordinator agreed to make use of the IAS as a pilot for my son!
    This is excellent news. smile Thanks for sharing. This may help the school have confidence in supporting your son's acceleration and may also help future children/families facing this decision.

Originally Posted by maridold82076
    the coordinator wanted to use his 3rd grade ITBS results for the "Achievement" part which is supposed to be a grade-level test (he just finished 2nd grade). This seems unfair to me but I don't really want to make him take yet another test just to get this data point.
    While this does not seem ideal, it could work IF a notation is placed on the IAS forms as to the score being provided from the 3rd grade test for the student just having completed 2nd grade... due to this score being readily available... and to avoid test fatigue.

Otherwise, the 3rd grade ITBS would seem to work against him.

Hopefully the school realizes that while taking a one-year-ahead test might reveal small gaps in student knowledge, gifted kiddos typically learn at a faster pace... with exposure to the material would quickly close those gaps in knowledge.

S
    S
    I just did the IAS and school choose to use MAP instead of AIMSWEB+.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM