Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #238661 06/03/17 07:42 PM
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with neurofeedback success. My ds9 has ADHD and medication has side effects and also he still displays behavioral and attention problems. Is neurofeedback a hit or miss? Or is the success rate pretty well documented? I've pretty much exhausted all my options. He has tried numerous medication combinations, doses, talk therapy, etc. but is this as good as it gets? I read neurofeedback helps with regulation by rewiring the neurons into more positive behaviors. Has anyone experienced this in their children with long term effects? Thanks!

S
    S
    Sounds very interesting, I am following to see what responses you get!

Also add a comment that talk therapy didn't help my son at all, but cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) workbooks and resources have made huge changes in his behavior. He's not at a point that he can get himself out of a thinking trap, but when he is reading on CBT topics he is less likely to fall into a thinking trap.

E
    E
    We didn't have success with it, but it may have been the practitioner, rather than the method. It seemed like a really expensive place for our DD to watch Disney movies.

Has anyone had success with Fidget Cubes?

I know it sounds trivial but I have heard anecdotally that fidgeting does improve concentration...

Become what you are
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hmmmm, I was hoping there would be better results from neurofeedback cases. I am primarily concerned with ds' behavior issues and then the inattentiveness. The inappropriate behavior affects other people while the inattentiveness is more just hindering his own inability to concentrate.

E
    E
    I don't have personal experience with neurofeedback with my own children but I have seen positive results in adult patients with ADHD and Anxiety symptoms at the clinic I work for. We only serve adult patients but it has worked well for them in reducing symptoms.

M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Well ds was also diagnosed with mild autism, so that may contribute to social problems. However, many of his practioners disagree with the autism diagnosis. I'm pretty skeptical of it too. I just know his ADHD is very severe and medication helps but not reliably. Teachers still say he jumps on the chairs, gets easily frustrated, and is hyper and inattentive. We have tried many medications and it feels like my son is a lab rat. But I guess we will have to keep trying until we figure out how to decrease the unwanted behaviors.

S
    S
    I looked into neurofeedback for DS 7 (severe ADHD) a year or so ago and didn't find any real proof that it is beneficial, so we never tried it.

We started stimulant meds about a year ago and it has made a huge difference. We started at 2.5mg (lol) and kept going up until we saw the level of improvement we were looking for. A few months later he started school and it quickly became apparent that the dose we were using a home was not adequate at controlling behaviors at school and we adjusted accordingly. He still takes the lower dose at home and it makes a huge difference, but it's not enough to control disruptive impulsiveness at school.

We had a hard time getting the docs to agree to the higher dose at school due to DS's age, but he definitely needed it. The school reported immediately that behavior was greatly improved and DS did not seem overmedicated at all, that he simply seemed more himself. We feel the same way. I went against medical advice when I gave DS the extra 5mg to try (at home the first time, not at school in case it didn't go well), but I'm so glad I did because it saved his school year. Some kids just need a higher dose than doctors are used to giving for their age.

Also, if the meds seem to work better some days than others, in our experience that happens when DS is just barely at an effective dose. Maybe he ate more breakfast or absorbed the med a little differently for some reason or was just having an extra rough day, but since starting the higher dose at school the ADHD symptoms are well under control without the variability we were seeing at the lower dose. I would say that if you are using a med that is actually working, but not working well enough, that you talk to the Doc about trying a higher dose.

M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for the advice. We are going for a follow up visit with ds's psychiatrist and will ask about dosage increase. We have been hesitant to do it before because of weight loss issues but I think my son's weight has stabilized somewhat.

S
    S
    I'm particularly interested in dealing with ADHD meds affecting appetite. I have ADHD and was on a stimulant medication. I was on too high of a dose and the appetite suppressant plus chronic nausea from another condition I have really did me in. Interestingly, the dose that was catastrophically too high for me is the dose my son takes - and he doesn't have appetite suppression at that dose. Funny how every person reacts differently.

@Merlin, how do you feel about intermittent medication, like not giving it on weekends, in attempt to mitigate the appetite suppressant effect? I have mixed feelings about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM