Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DEKT #238612 05/31/17 12:05 PM
    B
    B
    I don't know if you are open to medication, but if you did a trial and didn't notice a difference,I would guess that means it's probably not ADHD. With the stimulants you can see a difference in 1-2 hpurs. That being said, whether you see a difference would probably depend on what they are doing at the time (cleaning or doing schoolwork vs. playing, etc).

We got a diagnose through the family doctor but it was just invetories, incl. ones for the teachers, and the school psych kindly did an observation to see what percent of the time he was on task. The neuropsych testing showed him to be in the average range for those sorts of tests, but the neuropsych thought he was "acting" like ADHD. So there is no truly reliable method of diagnosing it, IMO.

DEKT #238614 05/31/17 12:19 PM
    S
    S
    If there's no other reason for the behavior, and it meets the diagnostic criteria, then yes, he'd get the diagnosis. It's a medical diagnosis which doctor-patient confidentiality. You don't have to tell anyone. A diagnosis gives you closure and direction on how to move forward.

Are you feeling maybe some denial or grief? Why wouldn't you want to know what is wrong so that you can help him overcome?

DEKT #238630 06/01/17 06:05 AM
    T
    T
    I can understand your frustration. You would think that the neuropsych evaluation would be the end of the road of this question. To be honest with you, I am a bit surprised by how this neuropsych dismissed ADHD so readily.

I don't think you need to rush into anything here. Wait and see how the new school works. A poor education setting could indeed cause lots of issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM