Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Gifted Grownups : the mixed blessings of extraordinary potential by Marylou Kelly Streznewski

P
    P
    Thank you Sanne!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Pinecroft
    Originally Posted by sanne
    Originally Posted by Pinecroft
    Originally Posted by sanne
    Academic match is the single most important factor for determining adult outcomes and mental health outcomes for intelligent children.
    Sanne - do you have any articles/studies to support this? I'd love to read them; it might help me advocate.
    Gifted Grownups : the mixed blessings of extraordinary potential by Marylou Kelly Streznewski
    Thank you Sanne!
    Pinecroft - here is more information which may help you advocate: this post has a brief summary of a few points from an article in the Davidson Database titled "Gifted children: Youth Mental Health Update."

P
    P
    Thank you so much, Indigo. Super helpful.

In addition to helping my own kids, for whom I advocate year after year (like so many of us!), I am also on site council at my daughter's elementary school. We are incorporating teaching students within their ZPD in the school improvement plan! I am semi-hopeful that having it documented will help our top learners (who may or may not be gifted, but there are plenty of academic achievers who are bored for sure...). Having some articles to back up what we are trying to do - especially the one you linked to that talks about what kids *don't* learn if they aren't challenged - might be really helpful when talking with the district and other parents.

I
    I
    Glad you like that article about What Kids Don't Learn, when they don't have appropriate challenge. smile It is a favorite of mine.
    One word of caution: When discussing appropriate challenge, be prepared to define challenge as being consistent with:
    - the Federal definition of gifted (as found on the NAGC website),
    - teaching in the ZPD.

I mention this because from time to time some have used the term "challenge" to mean:
    - not focusing on developing a child's strengths,
    - focusing on a child's relative weaknesses,
    - nit-picking to find faults, possibly encouraging perfectionism and/or making kids risk-averse and/or inclined to avoid stretching their skills and abilities. Essentially making kids afraid to be "wrong"; Instilling a fixed mindset instead of a growth mindset.

Another article which may be of interest to you, and also the OP: A report from 1997, titled What it Means to Teach Gifted Learners Well, by Carol Ann Tomlinson, Ed.D., University of Virginia. This report is on the website of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM