Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #238157 05/04/17 12:43 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I got DD8's KTEA-3 report from the school today.
    Her scores were:
    ASB: 149
    Reading Composite: 136
    Math Composite: 142
    Written Language Composite: 139

Her subscores were:
    Letter and Word Recognition: 123
    Reading Comprehension: 141
    Math Concepts and Applications: 129
    Math Computation: 148
    Written Expression: 138
    Spelling: 132
    Phonological Processing: 115
    Nonsense Word Decoding: 122
    Silent Reading Fluency: 137
    Word Recognition Fluency: 134
    Decoding Fluency: 114
    Reading Vocabulary: 145
    Associational Fluency: 81
    Object Naming Fluency: 108
    Listening Comprehension: 125
    Oral Expression: 141
    Writing Fluency: 117

I'm really surprised that her language scores are lower than her math scores, because I definitely consider her stronger in language.

Is it worth it to apply for DYS, even though she's 3 points below having two scores >=145? I really don't think I can get the school to give her an IQ test. They were somewhat resistant to giving this, and said there's at least a six month wait for the psychologist for IQ testing.

Cnm #238158 05/04/17 01:21 PM
    E
    E
    Is ASB the overall composite? I would probably apply. It doesn't take a lot in money or time to send in an application, and it might work.

Cnm #238159 05/04/17 01:25 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes. ASB is Academic Skills Battery, so the overall score.

Cnm #238160 05/04/17 01:49 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    1. Can't hurt to ask, especially if you need the advocacy/support resources.

2. Keep in mind that reading is made up of both decoding skills and comprehension. Once you reach fluent decoding, there is a hard ceiling on how high your score can go. Her decoding and encoding skills are high enough that there is likely little space to develop (beyond about the mid high school level in reading (and phonetic decoding tops out even earlier, late in middle school)). A highly-capable decoder of this age is usually limited on decoding scores by her vocabulary and experience, rather than her actual decoding skills. Comprehension is another matter. If you look at her reading comprehension, that is among her highest scores (along with math computation, written expression, and oral expression), which is a pattern of personal strength in higher-level language skills that is consistent with your anecdotal observations, as the only non-language score among them is calculations, rather than math reasoning.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Cnm #238161 05/04/17 03:59 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks aeh!

We could really use the advocacy for both DD and DS. Our district isn't quite sure how to handle them. DS7 will be taking the KTEA tomorrow. He's a bit more variable than her, so I don't know how his scores will turn out. They may be higher because he's younger, but his skills in some areas are comparable to or higher than hers, especially in math. He's a lot weaker in spelling and writing though.

The difference between comprehension and decoding really resonates with me. Thanks for pointing that out.

I just realized I missed the letter naming fluency score in my first post. That was 99. In the composites that use that, her score is lower because she's average at naming letters for a third grader. Makes me wonder what a kid that's highly above average in naming letters in third grade looks like.

I was surprised that her associative fluency was so low as well. We play lots of Scattegories, etc. and she's good at that.

Cnm #238167 05/04/17 09:47 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Her lowest three scores are all timed tasks, two of which feed into the Oral Fluency composite. LNF does not, but is still a timed task. So it's not that she was necessarily inaccurate naming letters, but that she didn't say them very quickly.

Actually, in general, fluency is her lowest area, with only reading fluency for real words up in her cognitive range. But as you may know, quite a lot of GT individuals have relatively lower processing speed (not generally below average, but closer to average), without any particular pathology. On AF, she may have been trying to come up with unusual responses, instead of boring but qualifying answers. E.g., if I were to ask a student to name as many vehicles as they could in one minute, some children with very deep vocabularies would want to give "interesting" responses, like Lamborghini, Harrier Jump Jet (with or without its military or civilian model numbers), etc., which might take them a beat or two longer to come up with. Another student, who might actually have a smaller vocabulary, might take the efficient but not fancy route, with truck, pickup truck, semi truck, dump truck. Or sometimes I get students who will only name whole subcategories, so, for instance, once "truck" has been named, they won't say any other kind of truck, which results in lower scores, even though they actually know and can name many more kinds of trucks. If this matters at all to you, you could probably get an inkling of whether any of these situations were applicable by asking her 1) what she was asked to name a lot of, and 2) what she gave as answers. (I'm not giving the actual categories from any of the most common tests, in the interest of test security.) Given her vocabulary, I would guess that she was going for interesting and unique answers.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Cnm #238380 05/15/17 04:25 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I finally got DS7's results today:
    His scores were:
    ASB: 141
    Reading Composite: 133
    Math Composite: 156
    Written Language Composite: 107

His subscores were:
    Letter and Word Recognition: 119
    Reading Comprehension: 140
    Math Concepts and Applications: 146
    Math Computation: 160
    Written Expression: 102
    Spelling: 112
    Phonological Processing: 117
    Nonsense Word Decoding: 117
    Silent Reading Fluency: 122
    Word Recognition Fluency: 127
    Reading Vocabulary: 101
    Associational Fluency: 135
    Object Naming Fluency: 88
    Listening Comprehension: 144
    Oral Expression: 136
    Letter Naming Facility: 78
    Writing Fluency: 83
    Math Fluency: 107

Not much there that we didn't know. We can't keep up with him in math, his reading is strong, and his writing is weak.

He's four points below the cutoffs for DYS and DD8 was three points below. I was really hoping one of them would qualify to help us with advocacy. Do I apply anyway? Try to get private IQ testing done? Would the potential dysgraphia diagnosis help us here to "justify" his writing score being low?

I'm also starting to wonder if we need to look more into a stealth dyslexia diagnosis. He reads very, very well in context. But it seems like all of the subtests that require reading/identifying letters/words/pictures out of context or quickly are weaknesses. His associational fluency is high (unlike DD8's), but his object naming fluency is low. His letter naming facility is low, writing fluency is low, and math fluency is low compared to his other math scores. His reading vocabulary and word recognition scores don't really match his reading comprehension level (both from this test, DRA-2, and classroom experience). I think that he relies a lot on context to figure things out.

It feels like his highest scores are things he can do in his head, or had context clues for him to use. The lowest scores are identifying pictures/letters/words without context or quickly.

The other tests we have are
    Beery VMI:
    VMI: 93 %-ile, VP: 99.9 %-ile, MC: 30 %-ile

GFTA: <.01 %-ile

EVT: 99 %-ile

PPVT: 99.5 %-ile

DRA-2: 70

We have an IEP meeting next Monday to discuss OT, ST, and acceleration for next year. Where do we go from here?

Last edited by Cnm; 05/15/17 04:43 PM.
    Cnm #238381 05/15/17 04:54 PM
    S
    S
    I'd suggest applying. The application is a simple process and the worst outcome is not getting accepted.

From the website:

"Q. What if my child does not meet the minimum qualification criteria?
    As we strive to serve the extreme of the gifted population, the scores listed on our website are considered to be the minimum eligibility requirements. However, we recognize that testing is only a small snapshot of a whole child and we take the entire application into consideration when determining eligibility. If the tester feels there were extraneous circumstances preventing a child from meeting the minimum criteria, a letter from the tester included with the application to explain the test scores will be considered in the review process. You may also review the Supplemental Information section on the Qualification Criteria page if you would like to include additional information that you believe may assist the review committee in making a decision. Many very bright students may not meet our qualification criteria for this program, but are likely to benefit from the information and free resources that the Davidson Institute makes available to the public via our websites, including our searchable Davidson Gifted Database, the public Gifted Issues discussion forum, and several guidebooks."

My son was slightly below the criteria - with a well documented reason that depressed his score. I applied anyway after much second-guessing and procrastination. I included one supplemental document - a letter explaining why I consider his score to be lower than actual ability and what evidence leads me to the conclusion. He was accepted! So it does happen!

Cnm #238382 05/15/17 05:06 PM
    I
    I
    You've received great advice above. Apply for both kids. I'll just add that if a child is not accepted into the DYS program at this time, you may reapply at a future date. A child is not limited to one application in a lifetime.

Here's more from the Davidson DYS webpages:
    Information included here will not add substantially to the review committee’s decision, nor override test scores that fall significantly below the Minimum Score Guidelines listed above.
    This would seem to indicate that scores just missing the cutoff (and within the standard error's confidence interval to include the cutoff score for eligibility) may be considered, depending upon the strength of other portions of the application...

also

Extenuating circumstances, as determined by the applicant and family...

sanne #238383 05/15/17 05:09 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you! That's good to hear! I don't have a letter from the tester, and I'm not sure I could easily get one. The school was pretty reluctant to give the tests at all. I do have the OT report though, in regard to the writing difficulty.
    His teacher would write an excellent letter for him. And he hit the ceiling (160) on the math computations test, so the math score could have potentially been higher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM