Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Right, I actually read that article before posting here, but a number of points still stand. Higher IQ in itself does not predicate higher achievement, nor the converse. The tests have their own flaws. And innate talent in one area (eg. math and physics) does not necessarily come with talent in other areas (eg. vocabulary, linguistics, handwriting.)

And yes, puffin, even if Feynman's results were well-correlated with our modern intelligence tests, a standard deviation or so above the mean is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it's pretty much the sweet spot for being able to extract maximum value from accommodations that are easy to apply in run-of-the-mill schools. I think of this as the "quarterback" level of natural intellectual talent. Smart at a level that peers admire, not at a level that intimidates them. In fact, for me that's a highly relevant aspect of this conversation. Once you get past that sweet spot, you're possibly looking at a level of asynchronicity that creates its own challenge and even inhibits achievement.

I believe in both inherent ability and growth mindset. The brain is an amazingly pliable thing. My biggest challenge as a parent is not allowing my children to rest on their laurels once they realize they are the "smart" kids in class. And at the same time recognizing that their IQ probably does *not* put them at the very top of the heap -- nonetheless I must be confident that they have immense opportunity just with the talents they do have, given sufficient drive.

On the flip side, I've got personal experience to show that a person who's not identified gifted but has grit and drive, can drastically outperform a person who's identified highly gifted but is wishy-washy and challenge-averse. Motivation/passion/grit matters SO much.

G
    G
    I occasionally wonder about this topic as our children are both adoptees (not biologically related to each other or us). First I will say that there is a great difference between the two - one (MG) has the drive and the organizational skills to lead the world.She is that combo of high achieving and gifted. The other (DYS) just is - different. This crazy need to read, watch, try. The intensity. She also has been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type so that sometimes gets in the way of her learning. We are she sure will do something imaginative and grand when she grows up but will need others to act on her dreams and keep her organized. They both have opportunities and parents advocating for them that many children do not. They are a great study in nature vs nurture.

I often wonder about DD DYS' biological parents. There is a very good chance they are impoverished farmers in their country. If IQ is inherited, what are they doing with the passion to learn, that obvious difference from the average individual? I just can't even imagine how hard that would be. DD struggles to fit in with kids at school, but there are some who are quirky like her. What about someone without anyone like them? I just hurt for them sometimes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM