Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    What's your relationship with the principal like? If it is really good, it might be worth requesting another meeting and talking through the presented options. (I'm basing this on your comment that he's read the research and acted accordingly.)

We found that having outside data helped us. YMMV. In your case, it sounds as though it might be really helpful to have test results showing where your daughter is at in math. (Objective tests, not the one that she might be given again at the school.) Also, be aware that some educators think a passing score to move on needs to be 100% in these circumstances. We were fortunate that the educator who gave end-of-year tests to our DS thought that 80% was the bar. (DS scored higher than that, but the tester said if it was in the 80s, we would discuss a plan to accelerate while we would fill in "gaps" at home.)

You may also find that test results could qualify your child for gifted programs (weekend camps, etc.) outside the school district.

The principal is pretty awesome. He's all about accelerating kids who need it.

The problem is that our district offers honors math in 5th grade. It's a compacted math curriculum including all of 5th and roughly 2/3rds of 6th grade. The program is great (DD11 did it this year in 5th grade and qualified for a math skip next year), but the principal was concerned DD8 would not qualify on the honors test given at the end of 4th grade. He wants her to be at the top of her class still and be doing the honors math. I agree. I think she can handle the honors curriculum.

The math curric. leader already gave DD8 the honors test back in Dec. when we were deciding whether or not to skip to 4th grade for the last half of the year. She didn't score as well as they liked to see, but passed all the 3rd grade material. The math curric. leader said he can't keep giving DD the test over and over, so when she takes it again, that's it. And it will solidify her placement next year.

I think she would pass it if we gave it to her right now. But I want to be certain, so I opted to test this summer after we review the math. I didn't want to jeopardize her placement or create a stinky situation where I had to fight to get her re-evaluated in the case she didn't pass. It's been a sticky situation.

If we had followed the IAS, I believe she would have qualified for a skip. It was just the honors math test that held her back. Hindsight is always 20/20, you know, so looking back I wish we had subject-accel her for the last half of the year, then re-tested for honors placement by May. I think she would have done fine. Instead, she had wishy-washy "enrichment" in class plus some teaching we did at home here and there, and I think she STILL would pass it.

I
    I
    In case it helps to run through a checklist, here's a link to common core 4th grade math.
    The 5th and 6th grade math can also be found from the linked webpage.

BTW, some may say that for a child who is being grade-accelerated at a critical juncture, the placement in high math could be a foregone conclusion, without need for going through the regular route to qualify. This would be based on the federal definition of gifted, as read from the NAGC website:
    "The term ‘gifted and talented,” when used with respect to students, children, or youth, means students, children, or youth who give evidence of high achievement capability in such areas as intellectual, creative, artistic, or leadership capacity, or in specific academic fields, and who need services or activities not ordinarily provided by the school in order to fully develop those capabilities."
    Her alternative path to high math placement may be a service not ordinarily provided by the school.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM