Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238162 05/04/17 07:34 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD13 and DD12/DYS will be attending a new middle school next Fall. I have to tread lightly with the teachers as DH will be affiliated with the school. DYS has a letter I can give the school, but how does that work when one of the parents has connections to the school? Or, do I wait to meet the teachers and hand them the letter after school has started? Our current AG teacher made negative comments when we tried to advocate for DD so I am feeling insecure about trying again.

I
    I
    You may wish to make a copy of the letter for your advocacy records at home, then entrust the original to your husband's care and to his judgement as to when to pass along the letter... as he will be affiliated with the school.

If there are any other materials you need to provide to the school (electronically or in paper format), another idea would be to provide the letter along with those materials.

Regarding advocacy, a pleasant, factual, unemotional approach is typically most effective.

P
    P
    Does the school have a "Meet the Teacher" night? Ours tend to do that a couple weeks after school starts. I've found that is often an excellent time, *not* to try and discuss my kid, but to secure a meeting to do so. I make sympathetic noises at the teacher that show I know they are undoubtedly finding my kid challenging already, and how can I help? If I frame it right, the teacher is practically asking me for a meeting and more info, rather than the other way around. No pushy parent!

Admittedly, this works because my 2E don't blend particularly well, and by week 2 teachers are inevitably thinking uh oh.....

So for me, the key is to be all about recognizing what challenges and weaknesses the teacher is already experiencing, and positioning myself as there to help. I always start from, "What can we do differently at home to better support what you expect them them to do in the classroom?", for instance. Or "How can we teach and reinforce the executive function skills/ organizational systems you expect the kids to use?"

Any suggestions for the teacher strategies I always frame as coming from her peers, not me. "His previous teachers have told me they find X really helpful..... They tried Y and Z, but Q always seemed to work best... e.g. he can manage his attention issues/ stay on track completing his work/ make fewer calculating errors/ produce written material more quickly... when the work is more complex. They find more challenging work is enormously helpful in keeping him going when he has to work through his disabilities...."

Obviously, this doesn't work so well with the compliant high achiever. At least, I would assume so - I personally wouldn't have a clue smile

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    You may wish to make a copy of the letter for your advocacy records at home, then entrust the original to your husband's care and to his judgement as to when to pass along the letter... as he will be affiliated with the school.

If there are any other materials you need to provide to the school (electronically or in paper format), another idea would be to provide the letter along with those materials.

Regarding advocacy, a pleasant, factual, unemotional approach is typically most effective.

The factual unemotional person would be my husband. So he's the guy then to make the handoff for sure. The current school will be electronically sending the school records so the new school will see DD's grade skip and AG information but nothing from DYS (it's so late in the year we haven't bothered to tell the school).

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    Does the school have a "Meet the Teacher" night? Ours tend to do that a couple weeks after school starts. I've found that is often an excellent time, *not* to try and discuss my kid, but to secure a meeting to do so. I make sympathetic noises at the teacher that show I know they are undoubtedly finding my kid challenging already, and how can I help? If I frame it right, the teacher is practically asking me for a meeting and more info, rather than the other way around. No pushy parent!
    I don't know if they have this, but I imagine they do. All the schools I know have them, but this will be a private international school so who knows? The idea of "providing help" is a good one!!

So for me, the key is to be all about recognizing what challenges and weaknesses the teacher is already experiencing, and positioning myself as there to help. I always start from, "What can we do differently at home to better support what you expect them them to do in the classroom?", for instance. Or "How can we teach and reinforce the executive function skills/ organizational systems you expect the kids to use?"
    I like this, too. Again, it's all about how the parent is helping the teacher vs. being another burden.

Any suggestions for the teacher strategies I always frame as coming from her peers, not me. "His previous teachers have told me they find X really helpful..... They tried Y and Z, but Q always seemed to work best...
    Really I can say what the 504 lists. The new one has really made a difference!!!

Obviously, this doesn't work so well with the compliant high achiever. At least, I would assume so - I personally wouldn't have a clue smile
    I do! My older one could rule the world! She is uber-organized. Drives DD crazy. I WISH I was as organized as she is. It's crazy having such different kids.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM