Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    But you're smart enough that you wouldn't annouce that on a public forum so they could catch you.

Oh, wait...

LOL!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ROFL!

Kriston
    Here's a link to a book by Anthony Walsh & Lee Ellis, "Criminology: an Interdisciplinary Approach" and it includes a discussion on IQ. It mentions a 9-14 point gap in IQ between offenders and non-offenders. However, only a 1 point difference between less serious offenders and non-offenders compared to 17 points between serious persistent offenders and non-offenders.

http://books.google.com/books?id=u07ci3cidVsC&pg=PA173&lpg=PA173&dq=prisons+high+IQ&source=bl&ots=uBZpbQjIPX&sig=I_-hiJF0Mxn1cSTFt-4OnRcWgI0#PPA171,M1

The part I found most interesting was in the section of "Intellectual Imbalance". The imbalance is when there is a 12 point difference between VIQ and PIQ. Criminals are significantly more likely to have a VIQ<PIQ imbalance.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! That's the same book I linked to in that monstrous link!

You guys and I google alike!

laugh

Kriston
    I guess I was too busy reading the info I found to read the new posts. Hate it when that happens wink

Oh, no I see. It was in your original post. How silly of me.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Nah. No worries! I appreciate your helping! smile

It was hard to tell that's what I was citing from that icky long link I posted and just the little factoid I pulled out of it. Plus you're helping to confirm to me that I found pretty much everything that's out there...and the info just doesn't exist. (So he should stop stating it like it's a fact!)

BTW, I think you're right about the VIQ<PIQ imbalance being fascinating. I read that also, so I'm glad you posted about it.

Kriston
    I was able to do a quick search on my medical journal database. I found an article from UK that states average IQ of inmate there is 87 and many suffer from learning disabilities.

Another study from Chicago prisons compared IQ as a predictor of violent behavior states average IQ for Caucasians as 93.4 and African Americans as 85.4. They considered an IQ of 101 as high at it was a incredibly small group (less than 1%, if I remember correctly) that were qualified as high.

Study from the 80s used BETA I and BETA II IQ test and found a mean IQ of 95.4 among about 6,000 inmates. 2.6% scored 120 and above.

I also found two references that IQ test when repeated after long continuous imprisonment usually yield a lower score due to lack of mental stimulation. The longer you are in prison, the lower the score.

Sorry I can't give you references since these are password protected journals, but I can get pdf's copied if needed.

I didn't see any references to the same information as in the OP. I find that contradicting to many studies in fact.

Jen

Originally Posted by Ruby
    http://books.google.com/books?id=u07ci3cidVsC&pg=PA173&lpg=PA173&dq=prisons+high+IQ&source=bl&ots=uBZpbQjIPX&sig=I_-hiJF0Mxn1cSTFt-4OnRcWgI0#PPA171,M1

The part I found most interesting was in the section of "Intellectual Imbalance". The imbalance is when there is a 12 point difference between VIQ and PIQ. Criminals are significantly more likely to have a VIQ<PIQ imbalance.

WOW very, very interesting! Did they speculate for any reasons why?

Mommy2MyEm - interesting! That supports the info kids kept in orphanages will have higher IQs once placed with good, nurturing families and that if put back in the orphanage environment, IQ drops once again.

When they look at prisons, are they also including white-collar prisons? Those would have significantly higher IQs I would think.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM