Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I live in a small prewar apt and would love some design tips from fellow parents. DS16 has dysgraphia, APD and ADHD. I have a 7.5' X 6' foyer that extends off of a boxy living area. 10' ceilings. I would like to turn the space into a study area that can somehow close off from his 12yo twin brothers. Thinking maybe a curtain, IKEA dividing panels or a bookcase to section off as a "room". DS is often on Facetime/skype session for classmate study groups. I have a desk, iMac and scanner that need to stay. Would like something functional but also conducive to DS learning profile. I like the Minka aire spacesaver ceiling fan for air circulation. Even paint color ideas welcome. This is just one of those areas that I can never seem to pull it together. TIA.

K
    KJP Offline
    K

Pottery Barn has free design services if they're in your area. They'll help you plan a space including paint colors. You can buy their wares or go find less expensive alternatives or do a mix.

http://www.potterybarn.com/m/pages/...m_src=productsearch&term=design+services

Last edited by KJP; 04/28/17 09:20 PM.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    If a Pottery Barn isn't nearby, IKEA does have a design app that might be helpful but I'd be wary ordering online and not letting him see, feel and test things in person. My dysgraphic would definitely like an all blue nook like space with a plush to the touch but firm bean bag and lap desk.

I
    I
    In an apartment, a renter may sometimes not be allowed to paint... add hardware for a partition such as a curtain... or to change a ceiling-mounted light fixture.

Ceiling fans weigh considerably more than many light fixtures; there needs to be sufficient support in order to mount a ceiling fan. A licensed electrician may need to be consulted... by the landlord, or with the landlord's permission.

Fire code may preclude placing items in a foyer which may hinder egress in the event of a fire or other emergency.
    - Is it possible to create a separate space in another area, such as a bedroom, possibly by use of a loft bed (like a bunk bed with a sleep area on top and a study area underneath)?
    - As another option, when a wardrobe is small and the clothing can be stored in a chest of drawers, dresser, or armoire, I've seen the closet used as a small office... with the door open, a chair rolls out and the person sits essentially in the doorway, working at a deskspace in the closet. Accessories such as a corkboard or white board, plus over-the-door organizer with pockets, etc, help keep the small space usable. When work is complete, the chair rolls back into the closet, tucks under the desk, and the door closes to make the workspace disappear.

EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you KJP. I think that I might do an IKEA run. We are thinking of a green nook, but then the shade? I like the idea of attaching wooden crates to the wall, like a working sculpture. Different crates with lengths, widths and depths. Just wondering if I can execute the thought.

Thanks indigo. Thankfully, the complex's contractor is a family friend and I do have permission to paint and make alterations. I won't be blocking egress because of the location of the apartment door, but I appreciate your suggestions. Definitely like your ideas of accessories.

S
    S
    I suggest simple and modular / multipurpose. Simple to minimize distractions and modular so you can change it up for novelty.

A gate leg table folds up almost flat against a wall but can be pulled out for ample workspace. Cardboard study carrells can give them separate table areas or be folded up for a shared project or big work space. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70290223/

With bigger built-in storage - I LOVE this one! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09123087/

I'd also suggest enclosed storage. My ADHDer does best when he can only see the materials he is working on.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM