Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    We're reconsidering DD's math placement for next year and beyond. I'd like DD to take a comprehensive exam (that can be checked against answers) online to see how she's done with the material. It's not just about her, but how well the teacher did teaching it, KWIM? She's willing to do this because she has finals to study for anyway and doesn't feel that confident about her mastery. Algebra 1 is *relatively* consistent across states, right?

Val Offline
    Sent you a PM.

F
    F
    totally understand .. dd (7th grade) just took the final . yes there are 5 weeks left of school. Would love ideas on where to check mastery as well (DS10) is currently taking algebra online.

Val Offline
    I don't know about online resources, but I have a test and answer key that I can scan and email to anyone who wants it.

The test comes from my teacher's edition of Brown's Algebra 2 book. The first 4 chapters of that book review Algebra 1 and the test is provided as a diagnostic aid.

This series of math books is well-respected. I've looked the test over, and it has a solid set of questions. They aren't the toughest problems on the planet, nor are they super-easy unless you really know the subject well. So, overall, a good way to answer the question, "Does the student know this stuff?"

There are 46 questions.

PM me if you want a copy of the test and answer key.

Val

Last edited by Val; 04/26/17 02:32 PM.
    C
    C
    You could look at ALEKS.com.

ALEKS FOR INDEPENDENT USE
    ALEKS is a research-based, online program that offers course products for mathematics, business, science, and behavioral science. Using personalized learning and adaptive assessments, ALEKS quickly and accurately determines exactly what a student is most ready to learn. This unique approach to learning dramatically improves student performance and confidence.

ALEKS offers a robust course library for use by parents, students, homeschoolers, and tutors.

It is now owned by McGraw hill ....hope they haven't ruined it.

AoPS has a diagnostic assessment for readiness for Algebra B (aka Algebra 2), but it's only 12 problems: Algebra B Diagnostic. Ohio also provides practice end of course exams for Algebra I; if your child is facing a state exam, your state may provide one as well. These tend to be very easy however.

C
    C
    Val, the system is not letting me send you a PM...I know this is an old topic but I'd be grateful for any resource to assess my DS11's comprehensive algebra knowledge. thank you!
    Originally Posted by Val
    I don't know about online resources, but I have a test and answer key that I can scan and email to anyone who wants it.

The test comes from my teacher's edition of Brown's Algebra 2 book. The first 4 chapters of that book review Algebra 1 and the test is provided as a diagnostic aid.

This series of math books is well-respected. I've looked the test over, and it has a solid set of questions. They aren't the toughest problems on the planet, nor are they super-easy unless you really know the subject well. So, overall, a good way to answer the question, "Does the student know this stuff?"

There are 46 questions.

PM me if you want a copy of the test and answer key.

Val

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM