Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #237929 04/25/17 09:48 AM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello!

I'm a new member to this forum, though I've been lurking for a long time.

I have a DD8 and a DS7 that are both highly gifted. Both were tested and admitted into the gifted program in kindergarten when we lived in Texas. Last summer, we moved from Texas to a small, rural town in Nevada.

DD8 is in third grade. Her teacher came highly recommended as the best in the grade for gifted students by everyone we talked to; however, she has refused to make accommodations for DD. I feel like she finds any weakness she can to focus on and shame DD about. DD has had trouble making friends and with self-esteem this year because her teacher will announce to the class whenever DD does something "wrong." Since we were new to the school, I decided to wait and see if things would get better. Once I realized they wouldn't, it seemed like it was too late in the year to shake things up.

That being said, DS7 is going into that grade next year. I've been volunteering/substituting at the school and have gotten to know the other teachers in the grade a little and have seen that they really aren't any better at differentiating, and discipline issues seem to be worse in their classes. However, DS has had a phenomenal teacher this year (in second grade), who noticed his abilities on the first day of school and has been continually adjusting her approach to keep up with his learning.

This teacher is moving to fourth grade next year. She has recommended DS accelerate to fourth grade next year. This would put DD8 and DS7 in the same class next year, but they are both very excited about the idea. The teacher and I both feel that it would be easier to meet both of their needs if they were together, since they are both so far ahead of their age peers. The principal was initially supportive, but the district has said no, citing social/emotional issues. They are recommending subject acceleration instead, but I'd much prefer DS to be in one class, and not going back and forth being third and fourth grade all day (especially after the experience we've had with DD in third grade this year). There is no written district policy about acceleration, and as far as I can tell, no state policy in Nevada.

The school has agreed to give the K-TEA, but I'm not sure the results of that will change the district's opinion. They already have seen his MAP scores, which are in the 99th %-ile across the board. I'm really frustrated that the superintendent, who has barely met my son is overriding the opinion of the teachers and administrative staff who actually know his abilities.

I sent several research articles to the principal, and the teacher has written a letter as well. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

P
    P
    Hi. Did they use the Iowa Acceleration Scale? Having a sibling in the receiving grade is a negative on that but I don't know whether them being positive about it offsets that. Is there only one class per grade? And no composite classes?

I
    I
    Welcome!

It looks like you've done your homework! Yes, I do not see State-level acceleration policy for Nevada here or here or here.

Originally Posted by Cnm
    Is there anything else I can do?
    Yes, here are a few things you can do:

1. When a school cites "social/emotional issues", ask them to elaborate. Be prepared for worst-case scenario (which is, for them to nit-pick on each thing a child may have done "wrong"). Keep calm, take notes, jot each thing down, and ask if there is anything else. Once a person is prepared to deal with worst-case scenario, they can deal with anything else. For example (best case scenario), the school may have nothing behind the "social/emotional issues" statement. They may be bluffing... by asking them to elaborate, you called their bluff. Don't gloat, just make a note such as "general concern... nothing specific to my children".

2. You may wish to read up on the IAS. If you've been a frequent reader/lurker here, your eyes may be rolling in your head or glazing over. For that, I apologize... and yet take heart, possibly another parent will read this and find it to be new information. When reading of the Iowa Acceleration Scale on Hoagies' Gifted Education Page, you will see:
    ... sibling in the same grade, or sibling in the receiving grade. According to the scales, these are critical items, and totally negate the idea of whole-grade acceleration. I disagree there - in my opinion we should always treat our kids as individuals, and though a lot more care needs to be taken, these two issues should not make whole-grade acceleration a total "NO".
    If having a sibling in the receiving grade happens to be what the superintendent was referring to as "social/emotional issues", then you are not alone in choosing to ignore the advice of that one particular point in the IAS. More on the IAS and full-grade acceleration here. Roundup of links on advocacy, meeting prep, and school fit here.

3. When you say this 3rd grade teacher was recommended by everyone you talked to, did that include parents of similarly gifted students? Or did you only have the opportunity to speak with various staff members? (Please do not answer that, but only reflect on it, and on how each perspective may be quite different: Parents may be seeking the support and encouragement of their child's development of gifts/talents, while teachers may be tasked with cutting down tall poppies and striving to ensure equal outcomes among all students in their classroom.)

4. Among the resources which you shared with the school, did you share reports from the acceleration institute? ... and the opportunity for teachers to join the Davidson Educators Guild?

5. Lastly, you may wish to contact the acceleration institute regarding your children's situation (especially if the IAS advice to forego acceleration when a sibling is in the receiving grade, may be coming into play as an impediment to acceleration).
    The IAS states, in part:
    "4. How important are the age and school grade of siblings when considering acceleration? ... While we have heard anecdotal information that skipping a child into the grade of an older sibling has had positive results, our experience and training in family dynamics speaks against such a move. Although each family is unique, the Belin-Blank Center remains consistent in consulting with schools and parents against a grade skip under these circumstances."
    This is just one of 15 issues with case vignettes in the book. Several years have passed since the IAS-3 was published. If the acceleration institute will agree that what may be a good rule in general may not be a good rule for an individual family... possibly the superintendent will reconsider. For example: If the older sibling has a misfortune (medical issue, accident, etc) which may preclude their completion of a grade level one year, would the parents also have the younger sibling held back that year to prevent the two from being in the same grade level the following year?

PS. You may wish to obscure any possibly identifying details in your post (state moved from, state moved to, rural, etc).

C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    They haven't used the IAS. I'm pretty sure they haven't heard of it, and I've been reluctant to bring it up because of the sibling issue.

There are two to four teachers in each grade, and no composite classes. We could potentially have them in different classes in fourth grade. But they are both excited advice being together, both excited about this teacher, and both close to the same levels in math and reading. I think it would be beneficial for both of them both socially and academically to be together.

C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks!

1. I will try that and see what they say. I figure I'm going to have to set up a meeting to discuss this directly with the superintendent, but I've been waiting until I have DS's K-TEA scores. I was also accelerated (twice) as a child, so I'm not going into this blind about potential emotional issues. However, in my experience, it would have been worse to have been left with my age peers. I never really found my place until I entered college at 16.

2. Glad to hear that I'm not completely crazy for ignoring that 'critical issue' on the IAS. Or at least not the only crazy one. smile

3. Good points....

4. Yes to the reports from the Acceleration Institute. I haven't referred them to the Davidson Educators' Guild yet.

5. Hmm... are they responsive to parent inquiries?

I'm hoping the K-TEA scores will come out high enough to apply to DYS so we can seek their guidance/advocacy as well, but I don't know if they will.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM