Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by marigold82076
    I think this half school / half home is a really interesting option. I have so many questions! Was this something the school suggested or did you have to fight for it? Will your son continue half days after Kindergarten too? Do you know of any literature that I could use to advocate for this option? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Before you invest a lot of time looking for literature to advocate, first call your school district and ask if it's something that you can do (or ask through a local homeschool organization). It's quite possible the school district already allows it but it's not one of those things that's widely publicized. I haven't done it with my kids, but have a friend who did it K-2 with one of her children, and she found out through her research that there were other families in our district who had also done the same 1/2-1/2 arrangement.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    A
    I'll echo the comments from previous posters about finding local resources and policies. Where we're located, school enrollment is optional prior to the year in which students turn 6. Provided that schools aren't at capacity for the relevant grade, the additional funds are generally welcome, especially if the student in question is advanced.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    T
    I think it is so hard to find ways to meet the needs of kids whose subscores are uneven. Here's some thoughts on your questions:

Instead of focusing more on either math or areas she is already excelling in, I would recommend meeting her where she is in both. Sounds like she is still at grade level for math, so it's more about enhancing her learning in all areas.

For her IQ, I would not use either one, but both. Have demands and expectations based on her subscores instead of the total score.

I assume the GATE program is a gifted program, it seems like the real advantage is not enhanced learning, but getting the social support and being around other children who think similarly.

For acceleration, I assume your daughter is pretty young for her grade already. When my kids school wanted to accelerate my daughter, I started asking numerous teachers what they thought. Interestingly, I found that every elementary school teacher (from numerous states) ALL recommended accelerating her, while EVERY middle school/high school teacher recommended against it. They all said that while socially/emotionally it wouldn't matter now (kindergarten), she would be "eaten alive" socially in the older grades. So I would recommend also looking down the road as well.

I have no experience with half days at school, but I do know that kids thrive with consistency, and I would be worried how your daughter would feel being pulled out of school halfway through and not having the same experiences as the rest of her class. I have considered going to the school and taking my daughter to the library to teach her myself, that way she would still get to do the other subjects and school events with everyone.

Good luck, those are difficult decisions to make.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by twallace
    . I have no experience with half days at school, but I do know that kids thrive with consistency, and I would be worried how your daughter would feel being pulled out of school halfway through and not having the same experiences as the rest of her class. I have considered going to the school and taking my daughter to the library to teach her myself, that way she would still get to do the other subjects and school events with everyone.

I know a few people whose kids part-time (like only in school for special subjects, or just morning, or a midday interruption), including one of mine. My DD leaves school part of the day, and after the first week, it was just her thing, the kids just accepted it. Other kids leave the room for things -- some leave for special reading or math help from other teachers, so it's part of the routine. Based on the rules, our district wouldn't allow on-site homeschool (though we did stay to work a couple times due to circumstances). Liabilities or something. It was way more comfortable at home, more fun. I wish I'd known about it sooner, though perhaps she'd have been less comfortable doing something different when younger.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by longcut
    I know a few people whose kids part-time (like only in school for special subjects, or just morning, or a midday interruption), including one of mine. My DD leaves school part of the day, and after the first week, it was just her thing, the kids just accepted it. Other kids leave the room for things -- some leave for special reading or math help from other teachers, so it's part of the routine. Based on the rules, our district wouldn't allow on-site homeschool (though we did stay to work a couple times due to circumstances). Liabilities or something. It was way more comfortable at home, more fun. I wish I'd known about it sooner, though perhaps she'd have been less comfortable doing something different when younger.

My son did half days/homeschooled half day and after a while you are right it was just his thing. He did mornings at home and then arrived right when they were finishing up lunch. He was like Norm coming into Cheers..."NORM!!!!!!" Sometimes he met them in line right outside the cafeteria on the way back to class, sometimes he walked into the cafeteria and sat with them as they finished up (he ate at home before he left).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We did one or two days a week (the days with specials and science) in school, and the rest at home. It quite rapidly became just the way things were. Kids adapt rather well, as long as adults present it as part of the routine. That part depends a lot on buy in from the school, of course.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by twallace
    When my kids school wanted to accelerate my daughter, I started asking numerous teachers what they thought. Interestingly, I found that every elementary school teacher (from numerous states) ALL recommended accelerating her, while EVERY middle school/high school teacher recommended against it. They all said that while socially/emotionally it wouldn't matter now (kindergarten), she would be "eaten alive" socially in the older grades. So I would recommend also looking down the road as well.
    Here's a further look down that road... smile

M
    M
    This seemed like a good resource for partial homeschool/public school options:

https://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/E/Equal_Access.pdf

Doesn't look good for Oklahoma, unfortunately.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM