Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF Offline
    We are going to see it today smile

LAF Offline
    I saw this last night with my kids, hubby and in-laws. I do not have kids that people instantly know are gifted. So when I first saw the trailer, I was concerned about it perpetuating unrealistic stereotypes of the child genius and also simplifying things that cannot realistically be simplified in 2 hour film. That said, I think this movie was excellent, and I think that the way they portrayed the characters and their motivations was very well done. The child who portrayed Mary did a fantastic job. I can post spoilers about why I think this was so, but I think it would be better to start a new thread for people who see the movie if anyone wants to discuss it (and put in the subject line SPOILERS). Please see the movie. I was impressed by how much they got right.

C
    C
    We saw the trailer in the theater and I cringed thinking it would just reinforce all of the stereotypes so the positive reviews are encouraging.

I'm planning on seeing it but debating taking the kids. I read the blurb on common sense media which puts it as 12+ and I'm still not sure. I'm not super concerned from their description but my youngest is 8.5 so maybe I should be?? I'll probably try to see it on my own first.

Last edited by chay; 04/25/17 06:15 AM. Reason: shouldn't try to type posts on my phone
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by chay
    I read the blurb on common sense media which puts it as 12+ and I'm still not sure. I'm not super concerned from their description but my youngest is 8.5 so maybe I should be?? I'll probably try to see it on my own first.
    I'll post my response in the gifted movie discussion, spoilers thread.

LAF Offline
    chay, I think it was fine for my daughter (10) and my son (12) but I'm not sure it would be that great for younger kids, mainly due to the heavier themes. I think commonsense media's blurb https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/gifted was pretty accurate. I would agree - watch it first if your kids are younger than 10. By the way, both my kids now want to learn the Trachtenberg system... wink

Last edited by LAF; 04/25/17 02:49 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I just have to say that I keep seeing new posts going up on the "spoiler" thread, which suggests that a lively discussion (that I might enjoy!) is going on over there, but I haven't seen the movie yet...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    DO go see it - bring the kids and call it a field trip for experiential learning wink - then share with us what the whole family thought.

PS: The only real disappointment in the group I went to see it with? That "gifted" was not made from a BOOK; After seeing the "gifted" movie we all wanted to read the book and compare/contrast.

LAF Offline
    Yes, aeh do go see it - I would love to see what you think about it. smile I really enjoyed it and so did my kids.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM