Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Here is a link to the movie trailer for "gifted", anticipated to be released in the Spring of 2017.

More info about the movie "gifted":
    - giftedmovie.com
    - wikipedia page here
    - opening April 12, 2017

It will be interesting to see whether the movie largely reinforces stereotypes, or helps people understand the dilemmas faced by the gifted. I am encouraged by the last line in the trailer: "He's a good person. He wanted me before I was smart."

U
    U
    Hmmm...interesting.

I'm curious, because this is not what my kids are about: does anyone here have a child who was doing advanced calculus at 7? Not saying they don't exist! Just wondering if the movie is advancing the "Mozart" gifted idea (to be gifted, you have to be composing sonatas at 3).

B
    B
    That was my thought as well, ultramarina. People are going to think "gifted" means being a prodigy and anyone who can't do 756 X 87 in their head within 5 seconds is not really gifted.

Val Offline
    Hmm. I watched the trailer and don't like the film already.

"Everybody knows what 3+3 is (but some of the other kids don't --- so they must be idiots)!" Giftie stereotype #1: gifted = elitist and rude.

Giftie stereotype #2: she has to be "normal," and only public schools are "normal."

Giftie stereotype #3: what ultramarina and blackcat said.

Worst of all, only a regular guy who drives a regular truck and looks like a regular American can truly understand the girl. Meanwhile, her e-vil grandmother, who does not drive a regular truck (dollars to donuts she drives a foreign car), is obviously only trying to steal the girl's childhood.

Meh. Looks like a story that panders to emotional extremes.

IMO, films like this perpetuate simplistic myths about IQ. They're like news stories about a kid with an "Einstein IQ" of 160. If an IQ of 160 was all it took to be Einstein, we'd be exploring the insides of black holes with intergalactic submarines by now. There is so much more to talent than the ability to do advanced calculus when you're still in the Brownies.

IQ is only a measure of the mind's mechanical efficiency (GM Gilbert). It says nothing about character, creativity, willingness to look beyond the surface, and many other traits that contribute to talent.

Last edited by Val; 01/13/17 10:51 AM.
    H
    H
    I am not impressed by the trailer.

I think Prodigy would be a better name for this movie than Gifted and agree with the previous comments.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    only a regular guy who drives a regular truck and looks like a regular American can truly understand the girl.
    In watching the brief trailer, I saw this differently: The one who could truly understand the girl was... her closest relative, her uncle who was raising her, knew her well, had homeschooled her, and saw her as a whole person.

While the film is not a documentary on giftedness, just a movie by the entertainment industry titled "gifted", I remain open-minded and optimistic about what it may portray, and the opportunities for positive conversations which it may open... including these posts on the forum, comparing/contrasting what we observed in the trailer. smile

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    does anyone here have a child who was doing advanced calculus at 7? Not saying they don't exist!
    My thought was that they needed to portray the main character as a young person who was noticeably, obviously ahead in some academic/intellectual way. Clearly not a child who may have been hot-housed.

In the brief trailer, she was also portrayed as a regular kid, having a mix of interests...
    - running, jumping, playing actively,
    - wearing a Brownie scouts vest.

She did not know everything, but was eager to learn (what does ad nauseum mean?)

She was shown eating somewhat healthy food (Special K breakfast cereal).

She was from modest financial means, not wealthy or high SES.

She displayed that she had been taught manners, such as withholding comment (not correcting a mathematical equation until asked... because nobody likes a smarty-pants).

While there is good and bad in everything, I remain hopeful and optimistic about the movie... curious as to what it will ultimately depict. smile

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Has anyone seen this movie?

We thought it was GREAT.

Many of the discussion themes seen in these gifted forums were portrayed throughout the movie.

We found lots of humor that had our group quietly chuckling at things which may go past most people... only to hear the whole theater chuckling. The movie seemed to draw a gifted audience. smile

Here are some reviews:
    - Rotten Tomatoes - audience Score - 85% liked it
    - Gwinnett Daily Post - Film Fans rave over Gifted
    - Tri-City Herald - Mr. Movie review: 'Gifted' is a movie gift

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    People are going to think "gifted" means being a prodigy and anyone who can't do 756 X 87 in their head within 5 seconds is not really gifted.
    In the movie, precocious 7-year-old Mary's rather quick multiplication of 57 x 135 was explained as using the Trachtenberg system. smile Here's a brief bio of Jakow Trachtenberg.

B
    B
    Glad you liked it. I haven't seen it yet. My big fear was that it was going to perpetuate yet more myths/bias against gifted kids and their parents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM