Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    DS6 is a DYS and currently enrolled in a gifted school. However, we are moving to Houston this summer so we have to find an appropriate school for him. We're trying to narrow down school options, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience either in HISD (particularly River Oaks elementary) or Spring Branch (and particularly their program for highly gifted students, SBAI, at Valley Oaks Elementary).

If you've had an HG/PG child in either of these school districts and are willing to chat about how you navigated getting an appropriate education for your child, I'd be grateful!

Last edited by Helianthus; 01/27/17 11:49 AM.
    S
    S
    Hi,

It's been a while since you posted, so you may have found answers to your questions elsewhere, but if you still have questions feel free to pm me.

We're in Houston, and are in the HISD Vanguard program. IMHO, this program is more suited to bright high achievers than truly gifted kids (even at ROE). Approx 15% of HISD students are in a GT program. I have heard better things about SBISD. Any public school in Texas is going to be subject to the STAAR, which means teaching to the test. And it's not a very challenging test.

My DS' are more in the HG range, the eldest would technically qualify for DYS based on test scores, but we haven't pursued it. We are finishing out elementary in public, but will be transitioning to private in middle school. If we can. There are far more bright kids in Houston than there are spots in the best schools, unfortunately. frown

There is a gifted school, Rainard, but reviews are mixed. We tried one of their summer "camps" a couple of years ago, just to get a feel for the school and it was a bust.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Just popped on here to check and I'm so glad to see your response! And glad to hear that my intuition about HISD was confirmed. We looked at ROE, but ultimately HISD's policy of having a ton of people in the GT program and telling us that our son would have to wait a year to be considered for the gifted program is problematic enough that we'll probably stick with Spring Branch even if my son doesn't get in to SBAI. We also looked at Rainard and something felt off, so despite it being the only private gifted school in the area, we declined to apply. My sense is that they focus more on 2E kids and I don't think that's the right fit for my kid at the moment.

Might DM you with questions about private middle schools--I know the obvious ones (Kincaid, St. Johns) but I'm not sure how they do for gifted kids.

S
    S
    Glad it was useful!

Feel free to PM me any time about private and MS.

We have several friends in SB, and it seems to be more flexible and less test-driven than HISD (at least they seem more satisfied). I hope it works out well for you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM