Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by George C
    The page owner, from what I can tell, is not operating in good faith. They immediately delete comments they don't agree with and refuse to answer or provide evidence for their wild claims. Asking for that evidence will get you blocked
    Unfortunately this may be more common than some may realize, although this particular community facebook page is transparent in noting its policy. In my observation and experience, some state affiliates of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) also delete and/or block and/or ban.

To remain on topic: Reflecting on these facebook page policies causes me to say that a large difference in gifted children today as compared with decades ago, is how the concept of giftedness has become politicized... and is considered by some to not be "politically correct" in this age of equal outcomes.

That said, I believe that whenever possible (such as when making assertions about giftedness on a forum or facebook page) it is wise to include a source... preferably a linked source... or state that something is anecdotal (part of one's lived experience... related by a friend-of-a-friend... or simply use that catch-all phrase "in my observation and experience..."). smile

G
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Unfortunately this may be more common than some may realize, although this particular community facebook page is transparent in noting its policy.
    As far as I can tell, here is their policy (which is not located in the About section but is merely a post floating around with the other ones):
    This page is for parents who have real gifted children who are frustrated by the new kind of "gifted" child. If you want to troll I will delete and ban you. Only supportive comments are allowed.
    Apparently "troll" means simply asking for clarification about what "the new kind of 'gifted' child" even means.

Last edited by George C; 04/18/17 05:07 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by dusty
    Where have all those stereotypically gifted kids gone?
    There is an adorably precocious, gifted child named Mary in the movie "Gifted", out now. smile

C
    C
    I had a blood pressure situation reading that FB page. I vented a bunch of snarky comments here, but immediately deleted. Felt better just to type it out.

Sadly, I believe there are plenty of people out there who think that a child with learning issues can't be gifted-- we've faced it, and I'm sure others have too.

A
    A
    I don't think they're different, I think we're learning more. I was identified as a child b/c of my behavioral problems stemming from boredom.

P
    P
    Parenting styles, lifestyles and education have all changed. Kids are probably basically the same.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM