Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 260 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    MDmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We had a meeting regarding DS6's neuropsych results, but do not yet have the written report. I tried to take detailed notes and am trying to make sense of it and would appreciate any guidance, suggestions, or BTDT from anyone here.

WISC-V VCI Verbal 136

Some struggles with visual motor integration - 5th percentile for design copy, etc.

Working memory ~18th percentile (with some sub-tests at 2nd, 5th, or 16th percentiles)

25th percentile - code transmission (with most errors at end)
    25th percentile - divided attention

similarities in verbal - >99th percentile
    vocabulary - 95th percentile

scores were much lower when timed (95th to 25th)

95th percentile - comprehension of stories
    37th percentile - re-telling of stories
    37th percentile - matrix reasoning

99th percentile - written expression

The doctor seems to think he has social anxiety, ADHD (combined) - with particular concerns related to executive function, processing speed, and working memory. Doctor also thinks non-verbal learning disability may be an issue (with visual processing).

I am just trying to process all of this. Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this or books/websites that may help? I also wonder how a school will deal with him as he is not often at the middle of the bell curve on much, but at both extremes. Thank you for any help you can offer!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by MDmom
    books/websites that may help?
    When a child is gifted and also has a disability, this is called twice exceptional or 2e. The following links may be of interest:
    - 2e newsletter
    - wrightslaw.com
    - understood.org

You mentioned executive function. Here is a brief roundup of resources on Executive function:
    - partial list of EF skills issues
    - resources to help a child understand ADHD
    - Understood.org - executive function skills
    - Wrightslaw - executive function skills

You also mentioned anxiety. This old post on anxiety and this article on perfectionism may be of interest.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    When you get the final report, you may wish to take this to the school and request that they initiate the special education eligibility process (determine eligibility for an IEP or 504 plan). In your position, I would be interested in whether measures of writing fluency were done, and whether there is a marked difference between timed writing and untimed writing. I would also be attentive to any possible weaknesses in mathematics, as the profile of cognitive weaknesses and relative weaknesses he displays is often associated with challenges in mathematics, especially the more abstract aspects of math, and arithmetic fact fluency (e.g., math minutes) (both of which may not show as weaknesses for a few years).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM