Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    Gus, my DD8 has a very similar wisc v profile and behavioral quirks--reversals, margins, hates puzzles, misses pluses and minuses. Her biggest handwriting hangup was spaces between words, and that sorted itself out in the past 6 months. Now her biggest struggle is her dyslexic spelling.

I was wondering what kind of math your DD has been asked to do. DD8 is in 3rd but it's accelerated a year maybe such that she's currently working on adding fractions with different denominators. While DD struggled with memorizing addition and subtraction facts (she kept using fingers and worked a little slower--99.8-50th processing speed there?) she easily memorized multiplication facts and has no problem with harder concepts despite a visual perception deficit--even in geometry (so far). I'm wondering if your DD will do better with harder math too.

DD does still have problems with neatness that affects her accuracy, but thankfully it's not affecting her understanding of the concepts. For example, she's likely to mistake a 0 for a 6 in her scribble at the end of working out 64532/41 and get the problem wrong, but her sloppiness is not affecting the overall process.

B
    B
    I don't have experience with wisc V so can't comment specifically on that, but we have experience with Wisc IV. My dd was tested right after she turned 8 and she is now 11. She also has a big problem with math fact fluency, however her math MAP scores are high. She does the same thing with her writing, in that each line starts further to the right than the last one. She says that when she is writing, she doesn't even really notice she's doing it. Her WISC profile is completely different though. Her perceptual reasoning score was 147 with matrix reasoning, picture concepts (which may not be on WISC V) and block design all being in the 16-19 range. I think she hit the ceiling of the test for matrix reasoning. She is very good at puzzles but has an odd way of doing them. She doesn't even look at the picture on the box half the time. She pulls pieces randomly out of the box 1 by 1 and somehow knows where tehy should go. I'm not really sure how she is able to do them that way. She says that she doesn't take them all out of the box at once because seeing too many pieces causes anxiety.
    She has a dx of ADHD and an IEP and the neuropsych thinks her challenges stem from impaired executive functioning, for instance problems with organization. She did pretty poor on a test called Rey Complex Figure where her approach to it was really disorganized. With the math facts, she's not able to retrieve them from memory quickly, no matter how much effort we put into learning them, she will improve for a while in terms of speed but then any gains are lost if we don't drill all the time. He said to just do accommodations (like use a calculator). She was around 9 when he said that though, I think with most younger kids it's too soon to give up. Not sure if this helps you at all but thought i'd share our experience.

S
    S
    Gus, Reflex Math is a fun online math fact game for kids that you could try with your DD.
    Originally Posted by sanne
    I also need to mention that it's a normal pattern for highly intelligent children to have executive functioning lags - as compared to age peers - until age 11, at which point their executive functioning exceeds that of age peers.
    Interesting Sanne, I didn't realize that at age 11 highly intelligent students EF typically exceeds that of peers. I wonder if that has been the observation of parents of gifted children IRL. Personally I have noticed that my DS had more EF issues earlier and that now they are mostly concerned with issues related to organizing himself and his materials (he is able to organize his thoughts really well in essays). I wonder what other parents experiences have been.

G
    Gus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for these additional thoughts and suggestions. It’s helpful to hear about others’ experiences.

DD is working on a 2nd grade common core curriculum, Ellemenope, where the main focus has been on learning to add and subtract double digit numbers. DD isn't a mathy kid, but she could do that in K. So, it’s an awkward fit. DD is under-challenged conceptually, but still needs to practice those basic operations. Kids in her class are offered enrichment work only after they’ve finished their regular classwork. DD never gets a chance to work on harder math because she’s slow. She’s bored and frustrated and sees that her peers are grasping it more easily than she is. She has started asking me for harder math and asked to work on LOF over the summer. I can test how things go when DD is offered more advanced tasks and concepts -- alongside her basic fact practice. I totally agree, Blackcat, that it’s too early to give up work on basic math fact fluency.

Reflex Math looks interesting, Stemfun. Thanks for the rec. I’ll have DD give the free trial a whirl this weekend. If she finds it engaging, it would be a nice break from other forms of practice and well worth trying.

S
    S
    When my son needed practice, but was bored with math facts, I wrote out problems that used the math facts he was struggling to remember but presented them with a novel piece of information. I would identify the specific math facts he had trouble remembering and hand write out worksheets with problems that used those numbers frequently, mixed in with just enough that he didn't notice. My son also did well with "big numbers". Rather than give him 10 2-digit problems, I could give him 2 10-digit problems. For subtraction, it's the same amount of borrowing, but the novelty of "big numbers" makes it more palatable.

If she has a tough time with 5+7, you can write out 132 - x = 75, for example. Or a story problem like the perimeter of a rectangle is 132, two of the sides are 75 cm, how long are the other 2 sides. This would be a great time to introduce decimals and calculating money. One of the activities I did with my son was to take him grocery shopping and have him add up everything I put in the cart and check at the cash register. (Very, very slow shopping trip! LOL). He liked this activity a lot, although he never had the right answer in the end!

If you're not interested in presenting new material, you can make targeted worksheets at math-aids.com. Their 0-99 addition worksheet would be just right, as you can customize the top and bottom addends and the number of problems per page. http://www.math-aids.com/Addition/Zero_to_99.html. By focusing on a small set of numbers at a time, you can help her improve fluency with less repetition. Mixed problems with decimals worksheet might be useful also. http://www.math-aids.com/Mixed_Problems/Decimal_Worksheets.html

Does your daughter's accuracy drop with the number of problems? You might be able to negotiate reduced length of assignments for her. This worked very well for my son. If he could do the last 5 problems right (the hardest problems), then he could skip the other 25 and move on.

My son benefitted emotionally from collecting data on his incorrect problems. I had him make a chart of his mistakes and their frequency. He began seeing the patterns of his mistakes being "wrong operation" or "copied the problem down wrong". This helped him feel more competent and more control over the situation. He had a list of his 3 most frequent mistakes and could check his work for them.

I would also suggest giving her 2 highlighters. Before she starts a worksheet, have her highlight the operations with a color code.

If she has trouble keeping numbers lined up in columns, have her turn looseleaf paper sideways! Super handy trick!

G
    Gus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Sanne, I just wanted to thank you again --- these are fantastic suggestions. I will give it all a try.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM