Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val Offline
    There's a lot to be said for ten acres.

I grew up in a rural area. Our school grounds were big enough to accommodate a 7 km cross-country ski course loop. We had two large playgrounds, fields, hiking trails, ski hills, more fields, etc. All the schools in that part of the country were like that, outside of capital cities.

Plus, the local "park" in town was on a similar scale, except that it had a pond in addition hiking trails, and the parking lot got turned into an ice rink in the winter. I spent my youth climbing trees, swimming in the local rivers or lakes, and building snow forts. Later, I was on 3 school athletic teams per year. All of these experiences helped me become a responsible, healthy adult.

I sometimes think that we get too focused on academics on this forum. I got just as much out the non-academic aspects of my youth as I did from math or reading acceleration. I wouldn't trade the time I spent outside or goofing around inventing number systems for more schoolwork --- and while I realize that my experience wouldn't be for everyone, I'd say that if your son is happy where he is, that's huge.

Kids have to find out who they are and who they want to be on their own, and they need space for that. We can (and should) guide them, but ultimately, drive has to be internal and they have to create it themselves. I fear that modern society is putting way too much emphasis a narrow set of skills over the things that help create that drive.

YMMV.

Last edited by Val; 03/22/17 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
    OP Offline
    Val,

I am reminded of "Mr. Velcro".
    So much inspiration can come from seemingly humble sources.

S
    S
    My husband and I also intentionally picked a rural lifestyle. There's so much value in "green space" and time in nature!

I would be suspicious of a school bragging 30% TAG enrollment. How are they attracting the concentration of gifted students? Do people really relocate for this school? Do all the TAG students leave the other public schools to get to that one? Or, perhaps, they have an overly generous definition of "gifted" and their program is for *good* students rather than *gifted* students?

Last edited by sanne; 03/22/17 05:29 PM.
    I sometimes think that we get too focused on academics on this forum. I got just as much out the non-academic aspects of my youth as I did from math or reading acceleration. I wouldn't trade the time I spent outside or goofing around inventing number systems for more schoolwork --- and while I realize that my experience wouldn't be for everyone, I'd say that if your son is happy where he is, that's huge.

Kids have to find out who they are and who they want to be on their own, and they need space for that. We can (and should) guide them, but ultimately, drive has to be internal and they have to create it themselves. I fear that modern society is putting way too much emphasis a narrow set of skills over the things that help create that drive.

YMMV

Right on!

Become what you are
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM