Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    There is a nice review of the literature in the introduction to this journal article (on Australian students), including research, largely from the '70s, that found teachers to be about 10-50% accurate (depending on the way accuracy was measured) at ID'ing GT children, while parents were about 50-96% accurate.

Note that the research is mostly on preschool and kindergarten-age students.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ750772.pdf

This is the key article generally cited:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...d_children_as_a_function_of_school_level

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by aeh
    There is a nice review of the literature in the introduction to this journal article (on Australian students), including research, largely from the '70s, that found teachers to be about 10-50% accurate (depending on the way accuracy was measured) at ID'ing GT children, while parents were about 50-96% accurate.

Note that the research is mostly on preschool and kindergarten-age students.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ750772.pdf

This is the key article generally cited:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...d_children_as_a_function_of_school_level

Well, that definitely supports sannes wording rather than mine.
    Now I'm trying to think where I read what I read...this link from hoagies might be it, or not...
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/identification.htm
    Parents are the best source of information about their children's abilities by John Worthington
    "Parents are a highly accurate and reliable source of information about their children's intelligence and abilities with most able to predict their child's IQ to within a few points, according to a University of Queensland PhD study..." Also see A Longitudinal Study of Early Literacy Development and the Changing Perceptions of Parents and Teachers

Last edited by Tigerle; 03/22/17 09:49 AM.
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I think this is great. There are so many different ways of knowing something... many different sources for learning something... a plethora of resources which inform our views.

It is interesting when they all seem to agree, and indicate the same result, as in this case. smile

BTW, it is my understanding that this is the reason why use of screeners for all pupils is generally recommended over teacher recommendation for gifted programs/services.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Jbell281
    Can you please tell me where to start a new thread? I'm looking at this from my iPhone and I do not see a place to start new thread
    Jbell281, did you find a way to start a new thread? If not, here's a quick point in the right direction... two different ways to start a new thread:

Starting a new thread from the main page
    - From the main page, see the list of forums. There are 10 forums:
    1) Thinking BIG About Gifted Education
    2) Parenting and Advocacy
    3) Identification, Testing, & Assessment
    4) Recommended Resources
    5) Twice Exceptional
    6) GT Research
    7) Learning Environments
    8) General Discussion
    9) Age or Ability Specific Forums
    10) Regions
    - Click to select the forum which most closely matches the topic you have in mind. The forum will present a list "sticky" topics, followed by a list of the most recent topics.
    - Toward the upper left-hand corner, two tabs are displayed.
    - Click the tab which says "New Topic" to start a new thread.

Starting a thread from any post
    Alternate path to creating a new thread:
    - When reading any post, scroll to the top of the page.
    - Toward the upper left-hand corner, two tabs are displayed.
    - Click the tab which says "Topic Options".
    - From the drop-down menu of Topic Options, click "New Topic" to start a new thread.

P
    P

Originally Posted by Jbell281
    I have a daughter as well in K but she is an average student I could swear my oldest has ADHD but it has never affected him at school but he can not sit still!! Studying with him is the worst. I have asked teachers and they said he fidgets a lot but it does not interrupt his work. .

Two quick thoughts:
    1) don't count out your daughter being gifted -- I thought mine was bright but pretty standard in K (did ask for harder math though); I always compared her to her brother's achievements and curiosity. Both kids ended up being tested, and her IQ scores were actually higher, LOL.
    2) If fidgeting becomes at all disruptive, or you have adhd concerns, that may be a way to get the school to pay for testing... DS was tested (2nd grade) due to real concerns about OT issues, ADD, etc. DD was tested (2nd grade also) because she was having some behavior issues -- turns out she was just bored! The testing helps us be understanding, helps with advocacy (really, she truly needs more challenge, not just me being a hot-house parent!), and helps teachers understand where she's at a tiny bit (it also truly depends on the teacher... 3rd grade was fantastic due to teacher fit, 4th has been rocky).

You've gotten a ton of great info - I can't wait to go back through and thoroughly read some of these links! :-)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM