Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    We did the Edfinity competition earlier this year, and he liked it except for the time limit attached. It's a cool idea to just sort of offer him open-ended invitations to work on an interesting problem, like competition problems. I do something like that when we have time at home, I'll drop a new resource near him like the Borac competitive math practice, or I'll load up a section of Alcumus, saying, "Oh, just thought you'd like to see this, but if you're too busy..." and he'll sit down and crank through a bunch and come out blissful. laugh

I think my current game plan is to bring the teacher some examples of the work he's done and the work he enjoys, so we're all on the same page. I don't think he knows what I'm talking about in terms of true problem-solving math. And I don't think he gets that *I* know what I'm talking about, LOL. If we can just both see the problem, then hopefully we can work on a solution, whether that's giving DS more appropriate things to do in lieu of class work, or letting me come in and teach him, or I don't know what.

Singapore Maths elementary books along with challenge problems was what we used with our DD. She was able to teach herself with these until AoPS superseded them from pre-alg in.

Become what you are
    E
    E
    Sunnyday, look and see if there is a Julia Robinson math festival near you anywhere - I think it would really appeal to your DS.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Sunnyday, look and see if there is a Julia Robinson math festival near you anywhere - I think it would really appeal to your DS.

Ooh, I'd never heard of that! There was one two hours from us last month, but none in our state for the rest of the year. Ah, well.

madeinuk, how did you use Singapore with public school? I have Singapore 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, (most books including the HIG, textbook, workbook, IP) and 3A IP on my shelf. The last one is a decent fit for my DD8, who does like follow-the-steps math with a bit of challenge to it. But DS10 has embraced mind-bending math and advanced topics to a point that I don't really feel like Singapore is a good choice any more. That said...maybe the teacher will accept it since it's a well-known curriculum? I'd love to hear more about how it worked for you!

Our DD did these for fun, believe it or not, at home. She learned nothing at school until 6th grade and what she did learn was only the common core dross that she hadn't seen before.

She started AoPS when she was 9/10 with pre-algebra so it may work for your DS10.

We were allowed to give her AoPS work packets that we made for her to work on during school hours one year. The next year we didn't have such a supportive teacher so that didn't work as well...

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/09/17 09:03 PM.

Become what you are
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Well, I had a meeting with the teacher this morning and I think it went well. He showed me a printout that says according to the Front Row program DS is working at about a 6th grade level. That gave me a lot of credence when I said, "If he pretests and passes a topic, can he use his classroom time another way?"

For starters DS is going to do Khan Academy during class time, and will also have some flexibility for homework time, including letting me find him some challenge work or having the teacher offer at least a weekly challenge problem from the fifth grade curriculum. I will also have the option to send in a packet for class time if I find something I think would be valuable for him to do. Although the teacher still doesn't seem to understand the kind of learner DS is (he keeps conflating the frustration of having to do many intermediate steps, with the struggle of working on a worthy challenge) I think it was a productive conversation, and leaves the door open for us to keep exploring the best fit for the rest of the year.

B
    B
    Sounds like a step in the right direction.

M
    M
    I'm late to the conversation, but thought I'd say that our DS (9, but grade-skipped to 5th) had been going up to 6th for math this fall. We then decided to switch to AOPS PA for more rigor. He has access to a chromebook, which he works on in the back of the classroom when his class does math. While not ideal, given the lack of gifted programming in our district it has been the best solution since 2nd grade. He has enjoyed the pace and challenge.

The past two years I went in and did a "Math Challenge" group for him and students in the grade above him. This worked well and helped him to connect with some academic peers. (They are two years older than he is, but have been very welcoming.)

Last thing, I resonated with what you said about needing to advocate even more for your younger daughter. With DS, teachers have expected me to ask for extra challenge in math. DD has similar >99% math scores, yet when I asked about how she was being challenged in math a teacher replied, "Her handwriting is quite messy for a girl and perhaps she could work on working more neatly." I was stunned, since that had nothing to do with challenging her in math!

Last edited by mama2three; 03/17/17 02:44 PM.
    DD has similar >99% math scores, yet when I asked about how she was being challenged in math a teacher replied, "Her handwriting is quite messy for a girl and perhaps she could work on working more neatly." I was stunned, since that had nothing to do with challenging her in math!

I am stunned.

While showing work in a legible and organized way is essential post-arithmetic I am still taken aback. Especially these days when so much is done without handwriting. Perhaps your DD has a future in Medicine if her handwriting is that terrible.

What age/maths level is your DD at?

Become what you are
    M
    M
    DD8 is in 3rd grade and stays in her class for math, although she does 4th/5th challenge math at home.

Our oldest two are quite different in their approach to school. DS desires new input and DD is happy to have time with friends. DS craves extra challenge and his peers have always recognized this. When he leaves the class it has never had any negative social implications. However, with DD, she resists any in-school challenge, as peer relationships are much trickier. She, too, is the youngest in her grade and I readily admit that when she does anything different it tends to create tension. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I should stop typing! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM