Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes I think you guys are right. He does seem to disturb and bother others when he is not medicated. He gets into time out more and is generally causing us as a family to have more arguments because of his behavior. I don't think the medication is too high of a dose because he still acts impulsive and loud, but just not as bad. The medication tones him down but he is still not a kid with great behavior. He still gets in trouble at school at least once a month, but much better than once a week when off medication.
    Another reason we try to give him medication breaks is his lack of appetite and he is already very thin. But with medication he can't sit still enough to finish a meal. He will constantly get up and get distracted by something.
    Thank you everyone who responded, I really appreciate all the different perspectives.

S
    S
    My 9 year old has ADHD. I am fully in support of medication. I have milder ADHD which is responding well to environmental change and nutrition. (Mine may be primarily symptomatic of eating disorder / malnutrition, case is not yet closed on that)

I am finding my son to be less dependent upon medication and I'm starting to have him skip it on low-demand days. This was prompted by change of insurance and his medication going from $10/month to $310/month. Ouch!

I have done a lot of environmental changes
    1) minimalism. Capsule wardrobe - my ADHDer's is particularly tiny. Stripped bedroom. 4 shoeboxes for personal toys/crafts/project - he chooses what to keep and when to rotate.
    2) meditation. Meditation works wonders, some authors claim it is as effective as medication for ADHD. I agree, although convincing a stimming child that he really does need to stop and meditate is not always successful.
    3) no major routine shifts. We homeschool and made every day a school day. Intellectual stimulation helps him self-regulate. Schooling every day brings our required amount (in WI) down to 2 hours 40 minutes per day - very manageable. Yesterday, grandparents and cousins came over to visit in the afternoon. My son got himself up at 6:30 and did school right away, then chores and played with his cousins the rest of the day.
    4) make notes to find common factors in conflict. My son has difficulty transitioning after a fun activity, so those are always after chores and school.
    5) extremely limited screen use, and extremely restricted advertising help very much. We don't have tv programming, we don't listen to the radio, we barely get junk mail anymore, and I avoid shopping in stores other than quick produce and milk at the grocery store once a week. Advertising is a huge demand on attention, particularly in stores it results in decision fatigue. (Coincidentally, our variable expenses dropped by 84% by limiting advertising exposure)
    6) keep him busy! My son loves music, and it has been a fabulous outlet, especially in cold WI winters when we're mostly housebound. Music allows him to set goals, gives him immediate feedback and satisfaction in his developing skills. It challenges his working memory and develops his frustration tolerance. Music is a way that he is getting the self-directed benefits of play, without the unstructured chaos and family conflict that comes with unstructured time. Music is intellectually stimulating without furthering his academic acceleration.
    7) edited to add that we live in rural area on 80-acre farm, so quiet environment and nature are built into our lives -- intentionally.

The biggest problem in my son's treatment - medicated or not - is the placebo effect. He decides he can or cannot do something (like do math without medication) and he refuses to try. I've found that parental pressure can go a long way here to change the belief.

I'm finding that my son CAN go unmedicated MOST days without floundering or family conflict. It wasn't as simple as withholding medication and expecting everything to be okay. We have to put him in a situation where his needs are met and demand on his executive functions are within his capacity.

If you have not read "The Explosive Child" or wandered on the corresponding website livesinthebalance.org, I highly recommend reading there. Wonderful resource!

Last edited by sanne; 03/05/17 04:02 PM.
    A
    A
    I am guessing you can't ask your child's doc this question.

Meds may need to be tweaked. Hyperfocus is not desireable. ADHD meds can be chosen for specific activities, for example soccer needs less focus than baseball. Different formulations of the same stimulant tend to have different properties. You can vary type, dose, and duration of Rx for the demands of situation, and a good doc should teach you all about this amd much more.

You can be coached how to coach your kid, promoting prosocial, and curbing negative, behaviors.

your kid is smart. His therapist can give him the problem to solve, of balancing solitary learning and social activities.

Cheers!

etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM