Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    That is the question....
    So my DS9 has severe ADHD when not medicated. Weekdays we have him on his medication which works wonders. The downside is he loves reading and learning so much that it feels like he is missing part of childhood. He doesn't really want to go outside and play and would rather stay inside and read non-fiction books.

However, on the weekends, we try to have him off of his medication to give him a break and he is wild! He will be insubordinate, irritate his sister, and drive us up the wall. He can't concentrate on anything but does act more like a kid, albeit a wild one. So the dilemma is should we just have him on his medication all the time, to save our sanity? But he doesnt enjoy participating in things kids his age like to do. Or skip medication on weekends and let him act like a kid and deal with it? This has been a big friction between my spouse and I.

M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    He can't seem to be able to focus or concentrate enough to pursue his interests when he is not medicated.
    So is it pretty normal for gifted kids to pass by childhood quickly? I kind of feel sad because being a child is such a short time and they should enjoy that innocence and freedom. I don't want my kid to grow up too quickly and just be a little adult in a kid's body. I know medication is a parental choice but this is where my spouse and I can not agree, so im hoping people can chime in on their thoughts.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Enjoying childhood looks different for every child. I think it may help to start from his subjective experience: is he enjoying his childhood? And along the same lines, does he appear to be distressed by his unmedicated state? Is he then dysregulated to the point that he is damaging his relationships with others, his self-image, or any physical persons or objects? While childhood spontaneity is valuable, these may be more.

There is also something to be said for distinguishing between innocence and ignorance, and freedom and chaos.

ETA: I spent a good portion of my childhood reading quietly (in the house, and also in trees), and really don't feel that I missed anything of value. We did also take a lot of day and overnight trips as a family to interesting museums, zoos, historical sites, and natural features, where we all immediately read every word available.

Last edited by aeh; 03/04/17 04:32 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I read a lot. It sounds like he is happier medicated. Why make his weekends so hard for him? You wouldn't stop asthma meds or insulin or whatever for the weekends would you.

A
    A
    Medicating a child is a personal choice and I am no expert on the topic. But, there are 2 points that I would like to make.
    1. Your child is PG, which makes him abnormal when it comes to intellectual abilities. There are simply too few people of that ability in the population that it is a rarity. Since he is not typical, it is not a surprise that he is not spending his childhood in a conventional and typical way. Is it fair to compare his life choices with that of the neurotypical child?
    2. If you do not want to medicate him on the weekends and if he is unable to be well regulated because of that, why not make the weekends truly unstructured? Take him to hike, bike, rollerblade, picnic, eat out etc etc so that you all are not cooped up with each other and feel that he is driving you all up the wall. Also look into involving him in activities like scouts, basketball, archery, soccer etc that are outside the home on the weekends. That looks like a typical child's weekend activity list to me!

M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Well those are life saving medications. He can still function with ADHD, and it doesn't seem to bother him if he is on medication or not. Either way he is a happy kid. It just bothers us as parents more when he is not medicated. So I feel like we shouldn't make him take his medication on weekends just for our benefit. When we ask him for his opinion, he says he doesn't care either way.

M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes Ashley that is what we are currently doing. Weekends are structure free days and we kinda have to make him go out and play. And run off some of that energy built up during the week where he is just sitting inside.
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Yes his giftedness does make him very different indeed compared to other neurotypical kids.

P
    P
    It sounded like it was more of a problem. Having asthma and depression I am more accepting of meds than most. You could try it and see what he thinks after a few weeks.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is good that he is happy either way. Is his relationship with his sister equally positive and healthy either way? Sometimes persons with ADHD may not have the self-awareness to realize that others are distressed, or not in healthy interactions with them, so that the apparent happiness comes from obliviousness, rather than truly being consciously happy with the situation. It may be that he is genuinely happy, and so is his sister, even with all the uncontained energy. (My unmedicated bouncy person is just about deliriously happy all the time, and, though there are moments when it can be exasperating to those in the vicinity, more often than not, the happiness is so contagious that you can't help but succumb. So I'm saying that, from personal experience, I know it can happen.) It may be that he is happy at the expense of other people, in which case it's not a well-founded happiness. From here, it's not possible to tell which of those is more accurate.

And outdoor activities are extremely good for persons with dysregulated attention. The natural world provides a much higher level of stimulation, but of a different kind (it allows for passive-but-engaged attention), than man-made environments do, which feeds the stimulus-seeking brain. HIs brain is also seeking stimulus on multiple levels: both from an ADHD sensation-seeking aspect, and from a GT intellectual/knowledge-seeking angle.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    I think there's a difference between being a kid and being impulsive, hyper to the point where you are disrupting other people's lives and making them unhappy. If the latter is true then I think medicating is a good idea, because it will improve family relationships. His happiness is important but so is everyone else's. As parents we all encounter situations that aren't pleasant (dirty diapers, tantrums in a 2 year old, etc) but I put ADHD into a different category than what is encountered in normal situations in just about every family. If a 9 year old isn't acting like a 9 year old, but more like a 3 year old, it's problematic. Is it possible he is on too high of a dose and he is becoming withdrawn? My daughter's third grade teacher described her as "quiet" and "non-participatory" and I was alarmed and knew her dose must be too high, because that is NOT her personality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM