Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    WSG,

Mark is the moderator here and it was my post that was removed. As far as I am concerned it is his (by proxy) site so his rules apply. Further, although I was trying to contribute positively, on reflection, I see that what I wrote could have offended someone's ( way more delicate than my own ) sensibilities. I accept Mark's decision as I fully understand that being on this forum is a privilege.

What I was trying to say is that the following quote quite pithily sums up the meaning of ethics for me and it would be a good focus for discussion with kids:-

Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Potter Stewart once stated:

“Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have the right to do and what is right to do.”

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/12/14 05:27 AM.

Become what you are
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you for your feedback! We are still thinking all of this through and will steer clear of anything that should be private and not public policy. Thank you for the guidance and help. We hear you. It is appreciated.

A
    A
    We were in a PS for 1 year. We are in an excellent PS with an excellent PTA - ethics and anti-drugs and anti-bullying etc were a huge part of the education in that school starting from K onwards - the PTA pushed the agenda and the admins supported it. They had constant education on ethics (doing the right things, not doing the wrong things, helping the fellow man/student, not being influenced negatively by others, standing up for your convictions etc etc) and once a month hour long events in classrooms to teach about ethics.
    So, I think that in addition to what a parent can teach at home on these topics, the parent can work with the PTA to implement effective methods to teach ethics at school.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    ethics and anti-drugs and anti-bullying... in addition to what a parent can teach at home on these topics, the parent can work with the PTA to implement effective methods to teach ethics at school.
    Agreed. Especially within the norms of a local community of stakeholders, such as a school or district.

Problems may arise with creating/imposing something as public policy on a larger scale.

Words are proxies for ideas/concepts. Once an idea/concept is documented into agreed-upon words based upon stake-holder discussion and understanding, some may begin to apply those words in other contexts which were not contemplated, thereby enforcing opposite ideas/concepts and outcomes than those desired, contemplated, and documented by the stakeholders.

One example of this may be the definition of "gifted", identification of "gifted", qualification for "gifted" progams/services, and the counter-point or push-back that everyone is "gifted".

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks, Ashley and Indigo. It is great to hear positive takes on the subject. It is so encouraging. I think we are just having one of those years. Your positive energy is great. Thanks again.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    What I was trying to say is that the following quote quite pithily sums up the meaning of ethics for me and it would be a good focus for discussion with kids:-

Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Potter Stewart once stated:

“Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have the right to do and what is right to do.”
    Here is a somewhat similar quote ~
    Every generation of Americans needs to know that freedom exists not to do what you like,
    but having the right to do what you ought.

– James Caviezel, actor

(What caused me to add a post to this old thread? The discussion of "character education" came to mind when reading this current thread on bullying in school - "Teaching a PreK kid how to deal with disruptive environment.")

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM