Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    You can buy it anywhere - Target, Wal-mart. My friend highly recommends the Sequence states game.

Thanks! It's on my list now! smile

Kriston
    Yup - we got it at Target!

Oh and on the Story of the World front.... we're UU and manage to use it without too much trouble, although we did skip a few of the literal biblical chapters.

We always have a second source, and sometimes we google things just in case. There are errors... In book 3 she said malaria was the same as yellow fever, which is definitely not the case smirk but it does make a nice overview and I like the pace.

Erica
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Lest you all think I'm hothousing here, dd three insists on having her own work. I would let her play all day if she wanted! She's definitely the one in the driver's seat.

You know, I often hear people say, "We don't start academics until [insert age here] at our house." I wonder what they would do with a kid who was begging to learn? My oldest would drag her magnetic letters around the house and hold them up so that I could tell her what sound they made. She did this before she was two! She is eight now and still hasn't slowed down.

All this to say that I believe that you are not hothousing!

Not even close Lorel!

I was going to try to jokingly say "ah, yes, you are, too, hothousing!" But I just couldn't find a way to do it. It's too far from reality to even be funny!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    > DS7 wants to learn the state capitals and rivers of the world for geography this year. (He chose to memorize all 50 states by shape last year using state flash cards--VS, maybe? Whaddya think? LOL!)

Show DS7 http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

DS6 spent last summer playing it. He loved it beyond words, he spent countless hours there and he still does here and there.

Levels 8 and 9 should make your VS kid more than happy. Ok, I think I am VS but gee I couldn't play those. Completely out of my league. Last summer was the first time we had to face the fact that our then 4 year old son knew something much better than us. He could beat us at pretty much any level, any continent with the exception of those where we all got 100%.

I hope that we can add typing into hs, but that's my secret hope. He knows where to put his 10 fingers but he needs practice, practice and more practice.

I forgot our monthly ASL class. I also want to do Scratch, hopefully with other 2 HG+ kids.

Now how does that compare to a standard 1st grade curriculum? wink Sorry, couldn't refuse the comparison.

Lorel, when DS6 was two, he loved workbooks. He could spend an hour working on them. DS4 has his math workbook too, but it's up to him when he wants to do it and since you never know with this child of mine I have no idea how much he will use it. He asked for (and got) a geography workbook a few weeks ago.

LMom
    M
    M
    This thread is fantastic! I love all the resources and it's so nice to read about other kids like mine who insist on doing and studying such a huge variety of subjects. IRL I tend to down-play the sheer variety of what DS6 studies and I don't talk at all about DS4's work or the stuff we do with DD2 because I get crazy looks.

Ooh! LMom! That geography site is fantastic! Thanks so much!

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this forum and all the great people here? The resources I find here are so, SO good!!!

laugh

Kriston
    I remember when DS was six, we went out to lunch with a PG friend and his family. The placemats had state trivia on them. The boys competed to see who knew more capitals. My son ended up knowing more, but I didn't think it was a big deal. It certainly didn't make me think that my son must be smarter. The other mom seemed a bit flustered, and said, "We haven't done states and capitals yet". I just let it pass, but actually, my son hadn't ever studied capitals either. Whatever he knew, it was learned from incidental occurrences and the USA map puzzle which he adored at age two.

I just wanted to point out that more structured learning works well for some, but it isn't the only way to go. I don't want readers to think that they are letting their kids down if they don't have such impressive lists of subjects and curricula.

Thanks for all the responses on my hot housing comment. I don't really worry about people who know me thinking that of me, as it is SO far from the truth, as Kriston pointed out. But there are a lot of lurkers here who might get the idea that they "need" to get workbooks for their two year old. I don't want to give the wrong impression.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM