Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    a million times thank you aeh!!!! This is exactly the information I have been digging for all day.
    When I asked about KTEA-3 and how that relates to placement this was the response I received (referenced deeper in a previous post):
    "Unfortunately, while standardized assessments provide helpful information on student’s performance relative to age/grade peers, standardized assessments do not provide solid information on real world specific academic instructional levels."
    Should i be asking for additional testing to be included in her PLEP so that we can accurately determine a proper grade placement for each subject, or at the very least should they be giving that information from the KTEA to me so that I can make some educated decisions about the types of accommodations she would be best suited for?
    If I am understanding you properly about her BD score -- are you saying that the asynchronicity of her development may be masking even higher gifted abilities? That once those skills that are "lacking" catch up she would score higher on these tests? I have read that mental rotation is late to develop in girls. Could this account for the discrepancy?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    I will absolutely be sharing with the hubby! No worries there smile

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Many years of data have found a small but persistent gender gap in spatial abilities,which recent research suggests is exacerbated by gender disparities in play, adult expectations, and responses to failure. On the bright side, these are all amenable to intervention, and the skills themselves are fairly malleable.

For your child, yes, it is possible this test underestimates her ability, both because of the discrepantly low BD score, and simply because of her youthful age. Scores generally are considered more stable around age eight or nine.

For placement purposes, I typically suggest end-of-unit or end-of-course exams taken from the actual curriculum the school uses. Test up level by level until her score drops below about 80 to 90%. That will give you some sense of when she transitions from her mastery level to her instructional level. If having grades that reflect her normative status by age are important, then I would use 90 as the cut score. On the other hand, scoring in the 70s on a unit prior to instruction is still pretty good (so using 80 as the cut score), and bodes well for scoring high after instruction (so it doesn't eliminate the likelihood of high grades, by any means), but also gives the student a little bit of opportunity to experience the process of learning as something more effortful than unconscious absorption.

Last edited by aeh; 02/13/17 07:19 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by TuffToodle
    I am hearing that gifted kids can be under-served in public school, but i am not sure I have a better solution. We cannot afford to send her to a private school - so what other options are there?
    Generally speaking, the creation of educational opportunities for outliers may come down to a family's skills in researching, advocacy, and providing extracurricular activities.

For example, these articles from the Davidson Database may provide a few ideas...
    The Davidson database has information on choosing a school, including:
    - Basic educational options for gifted students in schools
    - Choosing the right school for your gifted child (contains "must-ask questions and the answers that you should seek")
    Parents may wish to learn answers to these questions, regarding their current school's approach to gifted education.

Center for Creative Learning LLC has an article Dear School People, which may also offer some ideas.

If your child has particular areas of interest, you may wish to ask forum members to recommend specific resources which their children have enjoyed for advanced learning in those areas.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Your input has been invaluable aeh, thank you for taking the time with this newbie. My biggest struggle hasn't been with determining whether or how gifted she is -- the problem has been figuring out what she needs to continue growing. I have been trying to piece that together from the WPPSI and KTEA and it hasn't been making sense. Now I know why! I'm missing part of the puzzle! I will ask that they complete the placement exams before our GIEP meeting to be included in the PLEP section -- otherwise there is really no point to the meeting as we still won't know what to do with her.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks again indigo -- you are quick with those links! Thank goodness too, because these tired eyes have been combing the web all day! I do appreciate all the help.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    BTW, I don't have a WPPSI manual, so I can't say for sure, but two 17s should generate a VCI in the 140s, which may be close enough for DYS consideration, if you can get another index score in that range (you need two Index scores on the WPPSI-IV of 145+). If she is given Picture Concepts, and it scores at least as high, that would generate an FRI which may also be in the 140s.

Basically, her level of verbal giftedness is likely higher than suggested by the GAI of 134 (was that it?). And her abstract thinking may be as well (that's fluid reasoning). While you're asking for additional placement testing, you might request that they give her that one additional subtest, so you can have two Index scores, just in case they both fall in the 140s.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    aeh - i had no idea! Thanks again! I would love to see her qualify (plus maybe the school would take my requests more seriously) I am in for a world of education -- if only I were as smart as my kiddo lol.

I
    I
    I will ask that they complete the placement exams before our GIEP meeting to be included in the PLEP section -- otherwise there is really no point to the meeting as we still won't know what to do with her.
    The point of the meeting could be to learn: "how things work"... what they suggest as "next steps"... how many children they've seen at a similar level over the years... what gifted programs/services they've offered/developed for those children... how many have been accelerated... the size of cluster groups they've been able to create for these pupils... etc. Ask questions and listen well. You may learn whether the school would typically offer the end-of-year tests, etc... and you may suggest offering them.

Please do not see this meeting as a one-and-done. It is the beginning of what one might hope would be building a positive partnership in defining/recognizing and meeting your child's changing educational needs over the next decade or more.

Common core has ushered in an era of data collection on school children... which can have life-long impacts upon your child's future opportunities.

Take your time, prepare yourself well before you meet.

I
    I
    My biggest hang up is that gifted kids are gifted all day -- not just tuesdays at 12, so I know a pull out program isn't sufficient.
    Agreed! You may be interested in this youtube video, Gifted All the Time, by Dr. Dan Peters, Summit Center, CA.

The benefit to a pull-out program may be the clustering with other gifted kiddos... these kids need and benefit from having an intellectual peer group. The research in this old post emphasizes the importance of an academic/intellectual peer group.

Once your child is acquainted with other gifted and/or high achieving children, parents may choose to create social opportunities outside of school... both for the children, and for the parents... it can be helpful to be connected to a local network of parents of gifted children.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM